Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to trim their birds beak? I can tell where it needs to be trimmed to, but i've never done it before.... Kiwi's beak has a tendency to get overgrown, and it looks like it is harder for her to use.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have never trimmed my birds beak, if it does get overgrown I would recommend a vet visit. My birds all have cuttle bone and calcium blocks to chew and rub their beaks on that naturally hones down the beak. I have heard of people using an emery board to smooth the beak but again I have never had to use this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have heard that once you trim it, it not has to become a regular process to trim it. So I wouldnt do it unless absolutly necessary. If so I would get a vet to do it. Do you give her things to chew on?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah she has chew toys, and also has a swing that she loves that is rough to keep toenails and beaks worn down. she rubs her beak on that, but it still is overgrown. it has started to in the past, but then she would take care of it. i am just concerned cuz it is pretty overgrown now.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
They don't recommend trimming at home. You would need to take her to the Vet. Also they say once you start you have to keep doing it. I would try to avoid it and see what she likes to chew on and get more of it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
let the bird get mad at the vet doing it and not you.. You could do more harm with breaking the bond you already have with your bird if you piss him off..

It took weeks for me to get my p'lets trust back after having to stick my hand in the cage to take him out to have his wings clipped..

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have had to get beaks trimmed with both of my parrotlets. There was a lady at the bird store who did beaks, toe nails and wings and I would just take him there. I usually have to do it ever 6 months or so.

Now that I have moved there aren't any pet stores around but I will be taking him to the vet soon because its time to get his beak trimmed a bit. I wouldn't try it at home without an experienced person.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I use to use an embry board for Poco. He didn't mind it at all and let me hold him in my hand so that I could do it. He never used his bone or blocks at all. He also let me pick at his beak with my fingers to scrap off the flake parts from new growth. I think it just kind of bothered him and so he let me groom him regularly. I also filed his toe nails myself or would hold his toes for him while he bit them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I agree, don't do it at home by yourself. Some can do this but you need to be experienced as it can fracture the beak up and just be BAD! Once you do it, you have to always do it. I put in a large seed treat on a stick and let my bird go to town on it. It usually takes care of any beak clean up needed if there isn't underlining health issues related to a overgrown beak.

I also have used baby teething cookies if the seed stick didn't take care of it fully. After the teething cookie, it pretty much was done.

I've cared for parrots for 10 yrs now p'lets-cockatoos and never had to trim a beak. It does need to be done sometimes depending on the bird/if there is any possible health related conditions but I would make a vet visit and that'd be the only one I'd let do that procedure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Like mentioned above it is not recommended to trim their beaks because once you start you always have to do it. If it is over grown it is best to file it and I would have someone like a vet with experience do it.

What part of the beak is overgrown? My female's beak gets overgrown on the sides and I leave it alone and she eventually fixes it herself. Unless it is effecting the bird's eatting I try to let them fix it themselves.

This is Sky's beak right before she she filed it down herself.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
The reason I think you have to continue is that the bird gets relief and doesn't have to do it for themselves and they become reliant on you. As you see yours is being lazy but once it starts to bother her she will most likely try to get her beak down in size.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would never trim a beak at home. I won't even file it myself. I had Sky's beak filed a little bit when it first started to over grow but it didn't help. Once it started to bother her she fixed it herself. If it isn't affecting the bird I would just let the bird wear it down itself. It may take awhile but they eventually wear it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree with everyone saying to let the birdie work itself through this. I would just check her eating habits and perhaps make sure she has more methods available for her to rectify the beak problem herself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts