Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

So I was planning on to make a tree play gym for Rio. I dont have any good tree branches in my neighborhood and I am fairly new to this city so I dont have many friends either. I found some ads in craigslist about a few apple trees, willow trees as well as walnut tree branches. I did email the owners asking if the trees has been sprayed with pesticide anytime. So, my questions are:
1) Is it okay if fertilizers has been used for the trees?
2) Does the tree branch has to be dead to use?
3) Is it okay if pesticides has been used on the trees long back like 2-3 years ago or does it have to be never used?
4) I am planning to get a big branch and I am worried that I wont be able to fit it into my oven to bake it. Is there any other method for disinfecting it and making it safe for Rio?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You are a better "parront" than me . My hubby found a branch he liked, shredded the bark off and let it lay in the back of his truck for about a month. He said "after a month in the Arizona sun I could consider it bleached . " I guess he was right because they used it almost daily for over a year until we moved and packed it away .

I think if I knew the tree had been sprayed, I would hesitate to use it.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
That's funny Dixie!
Sorry Eva, I don't have any advice on the branches for you.. I would be pretty nervous to try making something for the reasons you mentioned, although I just think it's super sweet that you (and others) are so exited about making something with your own two hands for your Baby! I know it comes from the heart and its about more than just buying something. Maybe there is a way to get a branch already cured and just start w that for your project? Or a semi-home made kinda thing you can add to or modify? I'm not much help. You pribably have already donecway more research than I would know. I hope you can tell us what you endvup making.
(And I'm not as laid back as Dixie, that stick might have mysteriously "disappeared" out of the truck if it were my husband.... :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I know you have to read about that, as so many things can hurt or make the birds, sick,. People usually bake them in their oven first, you can google it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts