Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

Try growing fresh sprouts.

My wife grows sprouts for the birds. She regularly alternates the type of grain she sprouts and usually the birds love it. However, the monsters decided to reject her last batch - apparently the type of grain my wife used is not the flavor of the month!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Buzbee,

What is soak mix?

Also, try sweet potato wedges stuck between the wires of their cage. Ours love them and the orange mash all over their faces is quite ammusing.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Buzbee,

What is soak mix?

Also, try sweet potato wedges stuck between the wires of their cage. Ours love them and the orange mash all over their faces is quite ammusing.

Regards,

Art S.
I take it the sweet potato is cooked right?

from my conure forum:

you birds big & small will love this!

Here is what I use:

1/4 cup of each (dried, found by the rice at the store)
peas
lentles
white beans (small)
white rice
wild rice
popcorn kernals (regular old popcorn you would use in a pot)
you can add other beans, or lentles, barley etc. as you preffer

soak overnight, then drain & rinse the next day. Put in a pot and cover about 1 inch over with warm water. slowly simmer for about 1 hour.

drain & rinse again, then cool. for easy meals, put in ice trays and freeze, then pop them out & put in a freezer bag. Pull out as many as you need, and defrost on the counter for about 15 minutes.

(a sugestion, for first timers, try getting a small bag of the "bean soup mix" it will have a lot of beans, hopefully the peas etc. that way just add the rice, and you dont have to buy a ton until they get totally hooked to it!)

a note: dont use black bean, it makes the mix all grey & dirty looking, really gross lol

and you can also add pasta, they love it!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Please God when I cook this get Bitsey Jo to eat it .It sounds so good for them and she is a brat for seed, seed ,seed and I try and try and try and try. Here goes another try...Jo thinks food other then seed are evil demons!!!lol

·
Registered
794 Posts
Actually the answer to that would be.....No. Last night I offered homemade vegtable soup(barely any juice) with a little taste of the meat....No.... this morning I offered spring greens and apple....No...at lunch a little taste of natural peanut butter....No. tonight a little scrambled egg....No...... so when ya'll tell me what your birds eat...my eyes glaze over as I think to myself" How nice"....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Memmey Cosmo well not eat any of his veggies or fruit out of his bowls. So I got some clips and used them. At first He would attack it, then after a couple of time he realised it tasted good. Now he eats what ever I put there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Memmey Cosmo well not eat any of his veggies or fruit out of his bowls. So I got some clips and used them. At first He would attack it, then after a couple of time he realised it tasted good. Now he eats what ever I put there. Hope this helps.
Thats what I do with the brocolli too. If i put it in their dish, they ignore it! the apples i dice up small & add to their soak mix with grated carrots and corn kernals.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We just wedge that kind of stuff between the bars. By the way, since we got the bigger cage, they love to root around on the floor of the cage 'foraging' my wife puts down large strips of newspaper that they can push aside and climb under - they love it!

Speaking of Parrotlet tastes and preferences; just wait, their tastes change with their mood! Soon they will no longer touch their favorites and will love what they previously hated! Ours used to love mung bean sprouts - they would go nuts for them! One day, they decided they no longer like them now they won't touch them - fortunately my wife makes different types of sprouts. The one constant in their lives is their love of millet.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

From my wife:
Their favorite is wheatberry sprouts.
They used to like mung bean sprouts but now they turn their beaks up at them.
They like Quinoa but it doesn't sprout well or stay fresh long.
My wife doesn't remember the others at the moment.

They prefer the soft swollen seed parts better than the new greens.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.