Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my little Maisie seems a lot more chill now. She happily comes onto my hand if she is in the mood from her cage. She is happy to jump from finger to finger. She will sit on my shoulder, she will climb up my leg. I think she will even come when she is called (ie, she flies to the middle of the living room from her little living room perch, and she will look around then seek me out and climb my leg to get back on the couch.) She even likes my fingers for scritches.

She will accept treats if I put them on my lip, but if a seed on a finger and ofter it, it is super scary. Is this a time thing. This is her third week home...and hands are fine. I can't figure this one out. I am also having a bit of trouble offering her fruit and veg. If I put it in her cage, she either ignores it, or is scared of it. Again..is this just a time thing?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Hello~~~ She is just being a normal parrotlet. Fresh veggies and fruits are hard to get your p'lett to start eating them. A fresh broccoli floret stuck between the cage bars next to a perch is one way to go. Leave it all day long. Birds are weird. Seeds on a lip may be fine, but on your finger, she may be thinking you are trying to trick her or something. Eventually she will bond even closer to you and you will see that she loves you very much. All of a sudden, she may decide that a seed on your finger is not that " one eyed monster " and will eat the seed.

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just watched a video about how to make chop and to add seeds to it to help make it exciting. So I will try that too...

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Chop is wonderful!!!! Hemp seeds are great! Green bell pepper is good. Just open it up and let your birdie eat at the seeds inside the pepper. Hard boiled egg all chopped up id good. Chopped up pieces of baked chicken breast is good every few days, too! Hey! I am getting hungry!

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
It took my bird a couple of months before he would try any fresh veggies because he was afraid of them. I just kept offering them everyday and, suddenly, he just started eating them one day. Now he loves them and will willingly try anything I offer to him, and even tries to steal food from me! Just give it some more time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found out this weekend that she loves leafy greens. I stuck some lettuce into the bars of her cage near one perch...she tore into it...her little beak was green. Then on Sunday, we were making something with Cabbage, and she was all into that too! I might have to try some kale. She had no interest in the banana, raspberries or blueberries I was offering her..but man, she went to town on those leaves!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol...She is addicted to chop. She is not a fan of fruit, but she is obsessed with Kale!

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Cool, we need to try that with Rio, so far he is a seed pellet bird

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Fruits do not seem to be as popular with our birds, veggies seem to win out. I put some broccoli in the seed cup and I cut it off the tops so just the tiny stalks were in there, my guy started eating that way. But your girl likes things stuck in the bars so maybe Davids idea will work for you. My guy only will eat broccoli so far he is super picky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today is the day! She wasn't too sure but she went for it...and took many fruit pellets from my finger. I am hoping it sticks. They really do seem to have a little light switch that turns on in them over things like this... She even learned about my water glass. After quite a few pellets...she stepped on the rim of my glass which was only half-filled, and so I tipped it for her so she could reach the water. Took two big gulps. She is coming along!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fruits do not seem to be as popular with our birds, veggies seem to win out. I put some broccoli in the seed cup and I cut it off the tops so just the tiny stalks were in there, my guy started eating that way. But your girl likes things stuck in the bars so maybe Davids idea will work for you. My guy only will eat broccoli so far he is super picky.
She likes both now. I put her chop in her stainless steel bowl, with about a half teaspoon of seed on top. Then she stands on the side of her cage and chirps when she wants her leaves in the cage bars. I feel like it is half a toy and half food to her. I have used Bok Choi, Kale, Lettuce, Cabbage and today I tried celery leaves. She loves it if it is leafy and green. I have noticed her breath smells like kale after...it is hilarious...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts