Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big day is coming up and it is time for little Lucie :eek: and I to head out on the open road from California to Texas (where I go to college). I have a mini cooper and I'm putting the back seat down where I can place her cage so she will be basically home sweet home throughout the drive.

What I'm nervous about is that its a long drive and it's HOTT but I know it can be very dangerous to have her exposed to the A/C as I'm driving... any tips or stories on how to get her there safe and sound!?
:confused:
THANKS!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drive with toby for at leas one trip, 7 hours there and back every month. My car has wierd a/c so I tend to make these trips at night when its a little cooler and I have the window down a smidge. Toby also gets to travel in his full size cage in the back seat for these trips. I keep the back and top of his cage covered so the doesnt get too much sun and always has a shady spot and plenty of water. We have made shorter trips (hour and a half to two hours) with him in his travel cage and buckled in, with the ac running and he has shown no ill effects, so I dont know if that is bad for him? I hadnt thought to look into it...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I took mine on a Tahoe trip in his own cage, back seat, as well. He did not seem to mind either moderate heat (or moderate ac now that we live in the desert), but I like the suggestion of traveling at night however.

The only thing I learned is that, thinking that he would like to have his cage as-is I left all toys inside. But they are really really clunky and noisy in a car with the slightest movements, so I would remove bells and noisy things for the trip. Also I am paranoid about his comfort, so I would make sure you have a boing to perch on rather than a static perch, I feel that the vibration of the car for hours would not feel nice on my legs if I was a girl parrotlet. We created a shock absorbing layer with pillows to help with this as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Darcy and I will be driving from CA to Maryland in a few weeks. Also for college! :)

I didn't know AC was bad for birds... Darcy frequently sits in the front seat when we go visit my parents, which is about an hour away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the tips! What is a boing perch?? And yes I was told by the breeder that she had a few people take their babies home and one lady's parrotlet dropped dead because of the air conditioning was blasting on her..so she warned me about that...i'm sure in moderation it isn't bad just too much all at once could be!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts