Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am traveling upstate next month for thanksgiving weekend (3 nights) and was wondering if I should bring Sweet Pea with me, or if I should board her for the weekend. It's a 5 hour car ride, so pretty long, and the cage she would be staying in during the trip is pretty small, more like a travel cage. I'm also worried that she'll be stressed staying in the room on her own, since it'll be cold there and I won't be bringing her out with me to activities. However, once I am back in the evenings I will of course let her out for a while before bed. Let me know what you all think I should do.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I think it could work potentially either way. Have you traveled with Sweet Pea before? The reason that I am asking is that some birds do get car sick and it can help to test out small rides beforehand to see if this is an issue. One other consideration if you do decide to take her is that you may want to ask the hotel/motel to not clean the room while you are there to prevent any cleaning product fumes from affecting her.

If you can afford it, boarding her in a place familiar with birds may be less stressful for her without the car rides and strange room.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Don't forget about non-stick cookware too if you take her. There might be people cooking with pans that could be harmful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it could work potentially either way. Have you traveled with Sweet Pea before? The reason that I am asking is that some birds do get car sick and it can help to test out small rides beforehand to see if this is an issue. One other consideration if you do decide to take her is that you may want to ask the hotel/motel to not clean the room while you are there to prevent any cleaning product fumes from affecting her.

If you can afford it, boarding her in a place familiar with birds may be less stressful for her without the car rides and strange room.
Thank you, I actually have never travelled in a car with her before, but she was shipped to New York from Florida, so she knows what it's like. I'll definitely take her on small rides and see how she does. I'm staying in an airbnb that I've stayed in before, and the owner is super nice and accommodating. I'll ask if she has nonstick coating on her pans, and if she does we just won't use the kitchen. We don't have to be worried about cleaning because it's an airbnb so no one comes in to clean during the day. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
888 Posts
You mentioned the cage is small. Hopefully, it is not too small. Parrotlets normally need a cage that is at least 18 x 18 x 24. Being in a too small cage and in a new place for three nights may cause a lot of anxiety and stress for your bird. I am planning a trip next year and will have my bird in the travel cage while on the road, but I am also taking a larger collapsible cage for her that easily fits in the trunk of my car. Once I am there, I will be putting her the larger cage. This gives her plenty of room to move around and have all her toys and other belongings.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
~~~ Hi ~~~~

I agree with Jackie and the others. Jackie mentioned that it could work either way, boarded or not. You mentioned something that stuck out in my mind....Cold!.... The colder it is, more energy Sweet Pea will use to stay warm and more food/treats will be needed to keep up body heat. If you do take Sweet Pea, I suggest that you take a heater for her cage and cover the back side of her cage and one end of her cage with a thick cloth or cage cover.

You also mentioned that she will be in a travel sized cage. Three nights/4 days. I would not do this to a parrotlet. She would need a larger cage for all that time she will have to endure.

If you leave her with a friend, I have noticed in this and other forums that most of the time it doesn't work out when you trust a friend, unless the friend knows a lot about a parrotlet and will do all the necessary things needed for the well being of Sweet Pea. Friends have pets, children, no routine, etc.

If you have a good boarding place ( you must check them out before you take Sweet Pea there), then it might be a good idea to board her. Have the employee show you where she would stay and ask the employee questions about the routine of the caretakers there.

David;)

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
We travel with Jules a few times a year. She goes to the beach with us. Car trip is 8 to 12 hours each way. Trip down is usually two day, 5 days on site and a one day trip back. Cage is a 18 x 18 x 20. Jules seems to enjoy it.
Recently Rio traveled 8 hours how with us from breeder to our home. No problem there.
The biggest issue is temp changes and breezes. I would be more reluctant to travel into a cold climate than a warm one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pip has traveled with me multiple times. I use a parakeet sized cage and put him in the front seat. He seems okay with it and during the drive we have many conversations in human and parrotlet words and noises. When we stop for the night, in the RV, he goes into a fairly large cage. When we went to Lake George for a week, I kept him in the smaller cage because we went from the motel room to my sisters house (her motel and house are attached) so he could hang out with her cockatiel most of the day. I made sure he and I had some alone and cuddle time each day on all trips.
I feel that he travels well, but I did leave him with my daughter for a few days. My grandson is very fond of Pip and took good care of him.
I guess the biggest thing is to have somewhere to board him that you know or, if you take him along, to remember to show him some extra love.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
If you do travel make sure to have a good cage cover. We typically use thick towels. Something that can block weather, such as hot cold and wind. When traveling it varies but we usually cover a couple of sides of the cage so they feel safe.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
We travel with our guy a lot, in the car he is in a small travel cage. He actually loves the cage he happily chews all of the items in there. When we get to our destination I transfer him into a larger cage. The cages he has for traveling are smaller than his home cage but he is happy to go new places.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Tumi LOVES to travel in the car! He has spent entire summers traveling, and loves every minute of it. Do check for car sickness first, though, because that would be a big issue. Other than that and a safe environment at the end, though, travel can be fun for an adventure-minded parrotlet. He and I travel for up to 12 hours a day in the car with no issues. He loves to take baths on the highway, the little weirdo!

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
One note, I have found the two legged swings work ok for travel but a one leg / point swing is dangerous. To much swinging in every direction.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Good point about the swings! While a toy or two is important, I always make sure that any toys are low down and against the cage wall so that they don't swing around. Tumi's cage is buckled in the passenger seat beside me (the airbag is automatically off when there isn't enough weight, and Tumi doesn't meet the minimum obviously), and he thinks of it as hours where his mommy is hanging out with him! I always cover his cage so that he can only look toward me and occasionally a small amount out the front if he seems interested. We have been traveling together since he was 12 weeks old, when he and I moved from Illinois to Washington, DC. My last bird, a cockatiel, also did well with travel.
One thing that both of them do/did when travel is go to bed REALLY early. I mean like 6pm, whenever the sun starts to turn toward downward motion, even if it is still light for hours and bedtime is hours away. I just cover him/her completely and it is fine.
Of course, bedtime seems to be a personal thing to some birds anyway! Tumi is currently going to bed at 5:30/6pm at the latest by his demand! That means he makes a chirpy alarm clock in the morning - no snoozing for me, I guess!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I regularly travel with Pixie. I regularly visit my parents who r out of state, and various other things. I use a very small travelling cage in the car seat belted in with water and food. (Your seatbelts will be chewed.) She does just fine on drives 6+ hours. I have a small cage with dup favorite toys (not a full p-let cage) when we arrive and she has no issues. For longer, week plus trips, I will bring a larger cage. I found regular travel has made her pretty resilient to change. Also, for the first few days in a new place, she is less active. I do spend a bit of time telling her she is the most glorious bird in the world, and it seems to work. Anyway, my little lady travels on the regular and has adapted quite well. Not saying it will work for everyone, but my girl does quite well traveling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts