Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, you all usually reply great ideas, and answers, so im expecting them, because this is important!! lol :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways, I haven't realized how important it is to have a great bond between your bird and yourself, until now. I was reading old posts, and people were telling of all these tricks that their birds can do, and that they are best friends, etc.

Oscar doesn't really interact with me. He sits on my shoulder and climbs around my head playing with my hair, but he also bites my face, and cheek.

I want to be best friends with Oscar, by training him and doing various exercises. Im hoping that doing this will increase our bond, and discipline him, as he isnt the best bird.

He used to know the step-up command, but now he has seemed to stop obeying, and will bite.

And for my slew of questions:
*What are some things I should teach him?
*How?
*Is he too old (5 months)
*Are there any online publications on clicker training or something alike (Ahem! Andrea. LOL)
*What are some other regular things I should do with him?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is Andrea's clicker training ( but sounds like you know about it already)

Be warned that when you get him a mate he will switch that bond to his mate (as it should be) and will interact with you probably like he is now but nothing more.

I'll probably be stoned in the village square for saying this - but I'm ready everyone, bring it on :p

Lone birds that bond heavily with their owners only do so out of desperation - because they are flock animals and need that bond in their lives, so if a human is all there is, a human is all there is and the bird HAS to made do - people can feel what they want - Oh my bird loves me etc etc. But give that same bird a real relationship (another bird of their species) and you'll see how much they loved you.

Harsh but true :D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wouldn't. My male was extremely friendly before I got my female. He would sit in my hand for hours on end as if he was in a cave- climb in my shirt etc. He started to "fall in love" with one of his toys and I knew it was time to get him a mate.

I also knew when I got him a female he would bond with her over me but I knew that is how it should be and I would be fine with it. I didn't know if he'd even stay at all tame. But he has - he is in love with her but as I view it, he considers me a member of his flock - not his mate but as another flock member and he will interact with me. Not all the time but on his terms when he is in the mood. He still rides around on my shoulder as I do things around the house and will come out of his cage when I want him to etc. Be I wouldn't consider him cuddly anymore. But he is not dependant on me and not as needy as he was. He has his girl for that.

For me the best thing was the first time I left him for the weekend with her. They didn't have a care in the world when I got back. I never would have left him alone for the weekend as a single bird. So to me that alone was worth it. I don't worry at all about him when I am at work all day or away for the occasional weekend.

Its give and take but to me the benefits of seeing him with a mate are well worth it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I love working with Chipper. She can "turn around," "quack like a duck," of course "step up," "come" "beaky" "Kissy" ""warm toastie" and little things like that. Did I hear about "warm Toasties" here? I forgot. She likes that.

Using a treat they love works great. Chipper likes walnuts.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like before Chipper learened to do any tricks, or before you taught her anything, what was your mindset?
Did you think "okay, lets teach her!"
or, "If she seems interested in something I will teach her"
etc.

My questions seems weird. Do you get what im saying though?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts