Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Murphy has been in his harness a handful of times, but I cannot get him to stop biting the clasps and rings that hold it together on his chest. He's not crazy about millet, so that's not really a training option. I tried tying some strings to the clasps so he has something else to chew on, but it's s no-go. I think he likes walking around with me, but he is just so fixated with those darn metal clasps. Suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm sorry I have no input on this. I bought a harness for my grey some years ago and had the same outcome. She actually almost chewed thru hers so it was a bust for us.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Gee, once a parrot gets fixated on something like that it can be really hard to undo it...perhaps someone might have a good suggestion who has trained birds with the harness. I've never trained a bird to be in a harness before.

I can say, however, that I wear a gold ring on each hand, and naturally birds new to me are inclined to go at them...they simply cannot resist the sparkly, hard objects to chew on. I repeatedly correct them, even catching hold of their beak and moving it off the ring at times, and I use redirection of attention. After some time, usually, they will understand I do not like that and will rarely bit on my rings. So maybe it is just an issue of clear and consistent correction. This can take some months, though; in my experience it is not usually a swift lesson.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this was posted a while ago but with so little advice out there I felt the need to put mine in... So if you are still having trouble here it is!

You say he's not interested in millet but have you tried any other treats? My macaws are terrified of Millett, but will do anything for a piece of banana. Also maybe covering up the shiny part somehow? Another thing to try is targeting him into the harness one step at a time and rewarding every time he doesn't attack it.

Another thing I've seen is focusing the harness training around meal time so that he will be too hungry to be occupied with the harness with shiny toys on it. This will also allow him to become more used to wearing the harness.

I've just started the first step to harness training today : getting kili used to the sight of it so I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depends on if he's biting at them b/c he wants out of it or simply likes to chew on them. If the harness is not on, will he go after the clasps? I suspect not. He probably wants it off.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
That is what Azuki did with his harness and he ended up destroying one clasp and undoing another so that the harness was not attached to the leash. They are smart. Make sure he isn't trying to get out of it. :) I have no suggestions for you as we had to cut Azuki out of his harness, and he hasn't worn it since. :) The work well for some birds, but not my little monster.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Yep I had no success either and had to cut Charlie out of it also. He seemed ok with it but then one day freeked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kiwi at beach.jpg What ever you do , do not allow him to bite the harness. You mst distract him as soon as you get the harness on. Use sunflower seed or any tasty treats, favorite toys or loud music. I had to destract Kiwi with sunflower treats and favorite toys. At times I would physically move his beak and rub it. Then if the weather permits take him outside right away. They become mezmorize outdoors. Here is a picture of kiwi with his harness at the beach

·
Registered
36 Posts
What harnesses do you all have for p'lets??
The one Kiwi is wearing is an harness called the Bird Flight Suit/ diaper harness in petite size. He also uses another harness specificly made for parrotlet called Mini Wings Parrotlet Harness which is also awesome Kiwi rotates between the two harnesses

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi has that harness too, but we found that it was too big for him when he was younger. If you have a smaller parrotlet (Tumi was 26 grams at the time, he is 28 grams now), the smallest one is too big. I custom made a smaller one that worked, but we haven't used it much. Tumi's a fabric chewer, so I gave it fringe for him to play with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts