Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are training your birds, I'm sure you all give a treat as a reward for doing the trick or task correctly. What do you guys use? Some of the treats I've seen are too big for training purposes and would take her a few minutes to finish her treat before we could move on. Would you recommened a certain seed, like sunflower seeds, or something like that? The base diet I am going to feed Allie doesn't have sunflower seeds in it so she would see those as a treat instead of "just regular food". Any advice and if you could post what you each use (brand specific if possible) with training, would be great.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Alyse - Wish I could help. I never gave a food reward - just praise and attention - when I had just the single bird and worked with him - the only ‘trick’ per say we worked on was the recall - he got really good at it but then he went through that ‘toy’ bonding stage and then I got the female P’let - now he will come to me when called only about 20% of the time - :) other than that, its when he feels like it :D

But actually that’s fine with me - he's much happier now ;)

Maybe just figure out what Allie likes - I recall Sally saying Chipper will do anything for Safflower - just find out what Allie’s favorite is and use that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts