Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! It’s about to be one full month since getting my Leila and was wondering if you had suggestions for the best diet for parrotlets. I have been feeding her Volkman Avian Super: Cockatiel mixed with supreme fruitblend since this was what she had prior to me taking her home and didn’t want to switch it up to start with. Also suggestions for how to get her to start eating veggies and fruits (my attempts at this have been a fail)

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Hi there! Encouraging our little featherballs to try new foods can be a challenge, but it is worth the effort. I switched Kiwi from a seed diet to a pellet diet but I still feed her seeds as a treat every week. I use Harrison’s pellets but others have recommended TOPS and Roudybush as well. If you search it, you will see that not everyone is on board with a pellet diet, but my very experienced avian vet recommended it and I am glad I made the transition.

I tend to feed Kiwi whatever we are eating (that is healthy) in addition to her pellets. In addition to fruit and veggies, this includes things like cooked egg, mashed potato, fish, chicken and other meat, pasta, legumes, chia seed and quinoa. She adores spicy food like chili too. My vet once explained that they have very few taste buds and they don’t have the mucus membranes in their mouths like humans do so they don’t feel the “burn” of spicy food like jalapeños, but they are able to get some taste from it. Kiwi ADORES jalapeño pepper seeds.

Getting them to eat veggies is a labour of love. Try different ways of offering it - raw or cooked, cut up small or in chunks, whole or mashed, in their cage or from your hand, in a dish or stuffed in the cage bars. It will surprise you how they like their foods. Kiwi used to be scared of carrots and hated them but I gave her some mashed carrot once and she loved it. She will only eat romaine lettuce if she’s sitting on my hand. You get the idea. It helps if you eat it in front of them too. Eating is a highly social activity for them and If they see you eat something, it encourages them to try it (in theory because they know it’s safe. Kiwi will grab anything she sees me eating, even if she throws it to the bottom of her cage in disgust after she grabs it - haha!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
For commercial bird seed, I like Higgins Safflower Gold. My previous bird loved it. It is good quality, it is always fresh and smells really good. Sadly, my new bird does not like safflower seeds so I am throwing a lot of uneaten seeds out. I need to find something else for him.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Suggestions. Do not order a bunch of anything at this time. Your little one is going to be changing a lot over the next year or two and so will most of her eating habits. I have two very good avian vets. They are the type of vet that have their own flocks at their homes. Both have told me about the same advise. Our goal is to get our little ones to have the healthiest diets they will eat. This means variety, pellets while good in nutritional value tend to be bland and having them every day boring for birds. So you need to try a bunch of stuff a bunch of ways to see what works best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there! Encouraging our little featherballs to try new foods can be a challenge, but it is worth the effort. I switched Kiwi from a seed diet to a pellet diet but I still feed her seeds as a treat every week. I use Harrison’s pellets but others have recommended TOPS and Roudybush as well. If you search it, you will see that not everyone is on board with a pellet diet, but my very experienced avian vet recommended it and I am glad I made the transition.

I tend to feed Kiwi whatever we are eating (that is healthy) in addition to her pellets. In addition to fruit and veggies, this includes things like cooked egg, mashed potato, fish, chicken and other meat, pasta, legumes, chia seed and quinoa. She adores spicy food like chili too. My vet once explained that they have very few taste buds and they don’t have the mucus membranes in their mouths like humans do so they don’t feel the “burn” of spicy food like jalapeños, but they are able to get some taste from it. Kiwi ADORES jalapeño pepper seeds.

Getting them to eat veggies is a labour of love. Try different ways of offering it - raw or cooked, cut up small or in chunks, whole or mashed, in their cage or from your hand, in a dish or stuffed in the cage bars. It will surprise you how they like their foods. Kiwi used to be scared of carrots and hated them but I gave her some mashed carrot once and she loved it. She will only eat romaine lettuce if she’s sitting on my hand. You get the idea. It helps if you eat it in front of them too. Eating is a highly social activity for them and If they see you eat something, it encourages them to try it (in theory because they know it’s safe. Kiwi will grab anything she sees me eating, even if she throws it to the bottom of her cage in disgust after she grabs it - haha!
Thank you for such a thorough response! I’ve tried to google a good parrot diet but there’s so many responses and I’ve basically come to the conclusion that they can eat much of what we can (healthy only of course) I’ll see what she likes best over time. So far cheerios and strawberries seem to be a favorite. And yess I’ve discovered that Leila has a cute habit of waiting for me to sit with her to eat dinner together after I come home from work

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Thank you for such a thorough response! I’ve tried to google a good parrot diet but there’s so many responses and I’ve basically come to the conclusion that they can eat much of what we can (healthy only of course) I’ll see what she likes best over time. So far cheerios and strawberries seem to be a favorite. And yess I’ve discovered that Leila has a cute habit of waiting for me to sit with her to eat dinner together after I come home from work
Awwww you guys are doing terrific. Love to hear that. Kiwi just snaps cheerios into pieces and scatters them around her cage (and the floor). What a bird. But yes, keep an eye on what is not good for them and experiment away! I just tried to make it fun and not worry too much. I’m not sure that has always been true but it is for sure now lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts