Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CeIIteI bird carrier for Willie. It’s not only for vet visits but can be worn like a knapsack to take birds out for fresh air walks. I took him out today around my apartment complex but I forgot that the lawn care people showed yesterday and sprayed the lawn with weed killer and pesticide and the parking lot had been recently paved. I didn’t smell anything but I’m worried now that he may have inhaled some of what was put on the lawn and pavement. Do I have anything to worry about? He does look fine though and enjoyed the walk.

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
If the lawn stuff was dried already (it dries in a couple hours), it should be fine. My mom has a small sensitive dog, and we normally give the lawn 4-6 hours to dry before letting him walk on it, but then he is fine. They have to account for it being safe for animals to come in contact with, so it is safe when dried.
As far as the parking lot, if it doesn't smell anymore then it should be fine as well. That stuff SMELLS when it is fresh, so if you didn't smell it then I wouldn't worry. Instead, I would enjoy taking Willie for walks to see the world! Tumi is jealous!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Thank you for posting! There are 2 types of poison used when a yard is sprayed. Active and residual poisons are used. Active kills immediately for the first 30 to 45 minutes and then residual takes 30 days to finally wear out. When the grass is completely dry and you have low humidity, then 3-5 hours is a safe waiting period. Remember...For approximately 30 days, the poison on your lawn will somewhat activate right after a rain, or in the morning when the dew is on the grass.

As far as the paving/sealing on the road, they always use an asphalt based product. In Florida where I live, a paved/sealed road can be smelled every day for several weeks once the temperature reaches 90 plus degrees. If you can smell it, then you are inhaling the molecules from the asphalt. This is not good. Asphalt is activated by heat, this is why it is a good product for road making. If I had a bird out for a walk near a newly paved/sealed road, I would take a good whiff to determine an odor. If it is hot and you smell it, then stay away! Even if it is windy.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for posting! There are 2 types of poison used when a yard is sprayed. Active and residual poisons are used. Active kills immediately for the first 30 to 45 minutes and then residual takes 30 days to finally wear out. When the grass is completely dry and you have low humidity, then 3-5 hours is a safe waiting period. Remember...For approximately 30 days, the poison on your lawn will somewhat activate right after a rain, or in the morning when the dew is on the grass.

As far as the paving/sealing on the road, they always use an asphalt based product. In Florida where I live, a paved/sealed road can be smelled every day for several weeks once the temperature reaches 90 plus degrees. If you can smell it, then you are inhaling the molecules from the asphalt. This is not good. Asphalt is activated by heat, this is why it is a good product for road making. If I had a bird out for a walk near a newly paved/sealed road, I would take a good whiff to determine an odor. If it is hot and you smell it, then stay away! Even if it is windy.

David and Vicki
Thank you for that info. You really know a lot of stuff David, that was very interesting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts