Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on Pintrest and they have a ton of info for the Parrotlet. I had given a really small portion of tomato to my bird and he was gobbling down the seeds, just the seeds so I was surprised to find tomato on the "DO NOT GIVE list" in Pintrest.
So I googled it up and sure enough tomato is so acidic it can give ulcers to the p-let's mouth , throat and crop. That was about a month ago. Yikes- no more of that.
Chumley is doing fine so I am not worried at this point but I didn't know if anyone else knew about that. Is there a good list of what should not give our little buddies?
Thanks all.
Lisa, Chum's bud.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah, I agree, Chumley will be okay just eating a little bit of tomato. Too bad they are not good for them since Chumley seems to love them so much. Regarding safe food lists, I swear I have seen some online food lists that list tomatoes as a safe food for birds. Glad you brought this to our attention! Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
"Can birds eat tomatoes?" According to this article, the answer is yes, but in small amounts. Chumley will be happy! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
I just looked through Parrotlet Health and Parrotlet Diet and I didn’t see a list yet I know this has come up in the past. We should pin a list in Parrotlet Diet. There are a number of lists online if any one knows of a particularly comprehensive one. I do have the tendency to Google whatever new thing I am thinking of giving Kiwi but a good list could be helpful to new Parrotlet owners. I have never given Kiwi tomatoes but for no reason other than I never thought if it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked through Parrotlet Health and Parrotlet Diet and I didn’t see a list yet I know this has come up in the past. We should pin a list in Parrotlet Diet. There are a number of lists online if any one knows of a particularly comprehensive one. I do have the tendency to Google whatever new thing I am thinking of giving Kiwi but a good list could be helpful to new Parrotlet owners. I have never given Kiwi tomatoes but for no reason other than I never thought if it.
There are some on Pintrest...
african grey Bird Vertebrate Organism Mammal

Food Ingredient Recipe Fines herbes Natural foods
Food Recipe Triangle Font Food group
Food Recipe Triangle Font Food group

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
I find this link helpful.

For Tomatoes it says the stems and leaves are the issue and not the fruit.

Reactions: Lisa Tuttle

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
All of these are really helpful. That list in Ozzie’s post is particularly comprehensive. I don’t know how to have something “pinned” - Ozzie, is it you or do I have to reach out to a moderator? I think it would be great to have that list pinned so people have a good place to start.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find this link helpful.

For Tomatoes it says the stems and leaves are the issue and not the fruit.
Thank you for the info and taking the time to reply and supply a link.
Lisa and Chumley

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a number of lists online if any one knows of a particularly comprehensive one. I do have the tendency to Google whatever new thing I am thinking of giving Kiwi but a good list could be helpful to new Parrotlet owners. I have never given Kiwi tomatoes but for no reason other than I never thought if it.
I have found Flock Talk to be fairly comprehensive and trustworthy:

https://flock-talk.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F98788015943

1 - 11 of 11 Posts