Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her Serene Royal Highness Bitsey Jo...tadah!!!!...tasted one tee tiny bite of ..........SCRAMBLED EGG. One taste ....:D Wiped her beak... called it good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!

You've met your goal for this year. Do you think she's on a roll?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is good news.
You might try switching her dishes around. I do that with Bean so that he has to "go foraging" so to speak. I think he might be more apt to try something if he is surprised to find it there. He has some special little dishes just for treats that I place in various spots plus his regular dishes which I rotate. I found that bean loves hard boiled egg too. Also, you can microwave egg shells to dry them up and then crush them and stick them in a treat cup with red pepper flakes. Bean sometimes likes this.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Karen,

Great suggestion! I'm guessing that parrotlets do this in the wild. Ours absolutely LOVE foraging - my wife will put shredded newspaper on the bottom of the cage and they just dive into it looking for goodies! I think it's both a game and it occupies their minds.

Note: in our case newspaper works because that is what they have had in their cages since they were babies. We tried shreded brown paper bags and you would have thought that we put snakes in the bottom of their cage by the reaction - sheer terror! So, if you do this, work with what they are used to and expand their reality in small steps.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
YAY!!!! woo hoo!! Yipee!!

Congratulations Mem, that is great. one baby step at a time right?

I agree with Art, if you set certain expectations that aren't too hard to reach, it's easier to exceed and be doubly proud of yourself.

You should be so proud right now, this is a fantastic start for her. Keep it up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well today Jo and I have been reading all day I'm about half way through "the woman in white". I let her out to read with me and she was sweet. I put her cage on the bed and we have had a lazy day. I gave her broccoli, squash and zucchinni(sp?) and hazel nuts...ate none of it. If I went to the kichen she started the bell ringing for me to come back. She's chirping now I guess I need to put her to bed. You know the same ole same ole. She won't eat and calls me constantly>>LOL

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

I like the fact that she has a bell to call you with and that you are trained to respond appropriately...:D

A suggestion on food - hot pepper flakes - apparently the things that taste hot to us taste sweet to them.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hey now...

Did you read the second part of the note about the pepper flakes, that was for real.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Umm, I think I better get more clarification on this hot thing before I give Nemo any of it! Heh, kidding. But I never knew that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

It might just be the angle of the picture, but from that shot, it looks like Bitsey's beak is a bit overgrown. Next time you go to the vet, I'd get their opinion on possibly get it filed down a bit.

Otherwise, cute picture!

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts