Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I need advice to correct a big mistake I made. Bean is clipped but only so much as needed to keep him from flying up into the rafters and bossing everyone around. He is a good navigator and quite capable to go where he wants so long as it's not one end of the house to the other. Two days ago I noticed a fully grown flight on one wing and decided to clip it since this was part of his grooming. In my haste to get back to playing with him, I accidentally clipped one more feather on each wing thinking they were also grown out flights. Big mistake. Now he has lost his flight and is pretty much grounded. I'm so mad at myself for not paying attention to the plan. My question is, should I pull the two flights (one on each side) that he needs for flight so that they will grow back sooner? Otherwise he has to wait until his natural molt to get them back. I would love to speed up the process by removing them and then it should only take several weeks to grow them back.

I have pulled broken tail feathers and that does not seem to bother him but I'm not sure whether or not I should pull a flight feather and am seeking the collective knowledge of this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Karen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that when he attempts to fly now, he is not capable of good navigation and I fear an accident!

·
Registered
335 Posts
oh boy...not sure I can help you.

I didn't realize that you would have to pull it in order for it to grow.

My bird is clipped most often. They grow back quick enough and before I know it he has flight again. He recently had a feather that was 'out of place' I wanted to pull it so bad because it was sticking out worse than a bad hair day, but I didn't. Figured he would know what to do....And he did.

Within a day or two he took care of it. I found it laying on the bottom of the cage.

Not sure if the same would work for you.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would think pulling flight feathers would be very painful for him. I myself would not do it and let his molt take care of it. That would mean you will have to be real careful with him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Give him time - he'll build up the extra muscle needed to get around better. If it's clipped too much, he won't fly very well, as he won't have enough lift. But, he'll learn to fly what he can with the feathers he still has.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I don't feel that this is a situation that calls for pulling flights - all newly clipped birds are clumsy at first, but they will figure it out rather quickly. IMO, the only acceptable reasons for doing so would be if a blood feather is injured, or if there are some serious problems with a new feather coming in. Then the damaged feathers could be pulled (although I would still be reluctant) to get new ones in sooner. The practice forces a bird to grow feathers in an unnatural cycle and puts additional stress on the bird.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to mention that it could potentially damage the follicle, causing new feathers to grow in deformed, or not grow in period. Generally, it would have to happen multiple times to cause damage, but unless it's truly necessary (a broken blood feather, for example) why chance it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll let it fall out naturally and grow back on its own. I knew there would be some great advice here. I just wish he could fly around like before. We'll keep him out of trouble in the meantime.

Karen

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
He'll learn to adjust, it just takes time. Sometimes I clip one too many too and they get a bit clumsy, but they learn really quickly what they can and can't do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts