Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guy's. as you know my friend and i will be getting a par'lt in the next 2 weeks. do we clip or not. i am not a fan of the clipped wing.
so what are the for's and against. can these little guy's fly fast?.
all the parrots i have had i have never had clipped.
hope you can help.
all the best steve.:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I would suggest clipping while you are bonding and training - first 6 months to a year (first couple of moults). This will make the training process easier and help you establish dominance. Beyond that, it is a preference thing - ours are no longer clipped.

You also asked if they fly fast. YES they do!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I only clipped once, twice if you count just a feather or two. She flew fine, even clipped. I don't clip anymore.

Just be sure that your home is VERY safe whether you clip or not. Ceiling fans or other fans off, stove off, toilet seat down, doors closed etc. You really need to think about the whole house before letting them out.

Have a destination area also. Playgyms, cage etc. They need to have areas to land without hitting walls, etc.

I think flying is good for a bird, but each bird and situation is different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is a mistake to cli a very young bird has it has not had a chance to build muscle up i really do not believe in wing cclipping but its for the induvidual

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good question. We have not had any problems with ours. They were cliped for the first couple of years and have been flighted since.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bitsy was clipped initially, then we let his wings grow out. It took him a bit of practice (not much, really) to learn how to avoid objects when flying. He is now flighted - not sure all the feathers have grown back in, but he flies quite well. I would tend to think that it would be wise to clip the wings initially for training and bonding. These little guys are so independent - I feel it would have been hard if Bitsy hadn't been clipped. I would have to say, though, that I'm SO glad he's flighted now. He is such a happy little guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts