Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tofu has become increasingly mischievous lately she’s been watching the cage doors intently and attempting to figure out how to undo the latch which can only mean we need to quickly find another puzzle for her to do instead!

I’m having trouble finding foraging toys that are appropriate size andTofu specifically is very picky about what materials she likes and dislikes. The problem I’m running into is that most foraging toys for tiny birds are also shredders (tofu has decided that she hates paper shreds and also all bells- loofah and segrass have been deemed okay by miss picky bird) , and just entirely not complicated enough to keep tofu interested.

i was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of puzzle foraging toys that are small enough for parrotlets to do? I think she would like a lot of the caitech brand ones but they’re all too big for her?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Why that sneaky Tofu! She will eventually figure out the door. Both Bogie and Ricochet used to ask me to let them out! Bogie would say, " Let me out, I'm Bogie! " and Ricochet would say, " Please open the door, door! " Ricochet got his words from listening to Koolaid, the parrotlet on You Tube. Bogie got his words from me saying them t him. So, they are smart!

I used to take real wool yarn, not the acrylic kind, and roll it up into a ball about two inches wide. My parrotlets never got their feet stuck in the ball. Then, I would put a few sunflower seeds or safflower seeds in between the threads. I would let the seeds be seen just a little. I would then tie the ball with a single strand of wool and let it hang down from a perch or wherever and let it swing free. My p'letts loved to hang on the ball and try to get the seeds out. Bogie would get a seed and eat it, but Ricochet would pull the seeds out and then go to where they fell and eat them. ( only a few). You could use other treats.

You could also use garden twine if you want. It is much cheaper. You could also put the ball down on the table instead of hanging it. This would help Tofu discover the seeds better. Make the ball wound tight.

Dave
🦜 🦜

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tofu has become increasingly mischievous lately she’s been watching the cage doors intently and attempting to figure out how to undo the latch which can only mean we need to quickly find another puzzle for her to do instead!

I’m having trouble finding foraging toys that are appropriate size andTofu specifically is very picky about what materials she likes and dislikes. The problem I’m running into is that most foraging toys for tiny birds are also shredders (tofu has decided that she hates paper shreds and also all bells- loofah and segrass have been deemed okay by miss picky bird) , and just entirely not complicated enough to keep tofu interested.

i was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of puzzle foraging toys that are small enough for parrotlets to do? I think she would like a lot of the caitech brand ones but they’re all too big for her?
Have you tried planet pleasures? A boing? Oh…also, my little guy loves a basket I got from Bonka Birds. It clips on the cage bars. I fill it with toys (buttons, pinecone, mango, balls, etc) He empties the basket throwing it all on bottom of cage several times per day. 🤣
Hiding pellets, seeds, herbs to forage really gets him interested in his toys. Hope you find some things he loves!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts

Try grabbing a bird kabob or some yucca wood and stuffing sunflower seeds in it! Monty spends ages trying to get the seeds out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts