Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Thursday I got to pick up my new buddies! Sadly over the past 3 weeks, they hadn't been handled much at all. So they are now really scared of hands and thus didn't appreciate having to be grabbed to be put in their travelcage (unfortunately there wasn't another way to do it so I'll just have to work extra hard to gain their trust)

They needed some time adjusting to their new house and all, but after a few days they've already calmed down a bit, to a point where they are at least not flying around in a panic when someone walks by or comes up to the cage.
They absolutely love millet and I hope that will help me get them more used to my hands by handfeeding them the stuff :) I will let you guys know how that works out! I know it will be harder, as they will bond more to eachother than me, but I don't mind that, as I personally think it is better for them to bond more to one of their own kind, even if that means they will be less tame.

BUT!!!! Enough talk, time for pictures!

In their temporary cage at school.

Getting some needed Zzzzzzz's after traveling home...

Still trying to decide on names! I want to name one Loki, but am not sure what to name the other one, as I don't want to have too similar sounding names (so not both ending on 'i' for example) and I don't want to name both after marvel/superhero/villain characters....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They look so sweet cuddled up together!

We will have two Lokis on the forum now! We'll call them green Loki and blue Loki :D You said you don't want to name the other from a comic.. but... I really like Marvel as a name!! Haha!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....Okay, Marvel is a pretty great name actually! Haha I love it, I think my boys found their names! :D

Thanks for suggesting it!

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I see you went with two of them. Interesting. Good luck with that. You wanted a close bonding with them and it may be possible, so I think you have the fortitude to carry it out.:D

It will take some work, and since they did not get hand tamed, they will have lots of energy! Have you thought of the name,Thor? This is a powerful name for a male bird. Also, I was looking at the very cute pics and one of the birdies looks like a female. At this young age, the first molt may reveal a better true color pattern. What size perches do you have?

Bogie is a greenie and your pics remind me of when he was a baby! So beautiful and full of LIFE! Send more pics!! Bless you, Lori!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, having the two of them might become quite the handful, but I think it's better for them in my situation. I can spend an hour woth each of them daily, no problem, but not at regular times during the day. My schedule is different from day to day and even from one week to the next.
I would love for them to be 'tame' and to have a closer bond with me, however I don't think it would be fair on either one of them to not at least have regular attention and interaction with another living creature. I'd rather have two birds that are less tame and bonded to me, but have eachother to keep them company, than one bird that is very much bonded to me and ends up being lonely.

They have perches made from apple branches from pur garden. The wood is untreated (other than having been washed in vinegar by me) so it should be safe. There's also some toys made from wood (a small and large swing, rope ladder and chew toy) coloured with foodcolouring and two ladders. I'm getting a larger cage somewhere this week or the next (keeping the one I have now as a backup, in case they ever do decide they'd rather be solitary birds) so I haven't completely filled up this one yet. Still playing around with what to put where and making sure they still have enough space to fly.

As for their colours, both birdies should be males, but it is hard to see in the pictures. The oldest of the two is a brighter green and has more distinct blue markings all over. The younger one (hatched about a week later) is more grayish and has less distinct markings behind his eyes, but does have blue wings and a blue back. (Although now I am doubting myself and fearing the younger one is a girl after all! I will check in with the other parrotlet in school to make sure she's a she, today)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions!
I just came home from a doctor's appointment with a now painful lower stomach, so no school for me today I fear, unless my aspirin kicks in. But that means that I just walked in on my babies all cuddled up on their large swing, happily chatting away! I had not heard them 'talking' this much when they were housed at school still, it's so adorable! Took a picture to share, and also to show the cage a little!

Edit: And another one, because they are just so darned cute! :D
I think it's a good picture to show the difference in colour between the two of them too? They did some flying around and eating when I got home and talked to them. Now they're all cuddled up, still softly chirping to each other from time to time, both of them holding up one foot (or holding eachother's foot? Hard to see)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They seem to be settling in very nicely. Now, looking at this last photo, which one is Loki and which one is Marvel?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If Marvel and Loki are the names I'll end up sticking with (starting to now like Marvel more and Loki a little less :D) then the more brightly green one (so the one on the left/in the back) will be Loki and the one on the right Marvel n_n

Hehe "may the force be with me?" :D
Maybe I should call the other one Luke rather than Loki ;)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yay! Marvel! I was just telling my sister how much I loved it as a name I'm so glad you're considering it :)

If you're reconsidering Loki.. may I also recommend going full nerd and suggest DC instead?

Haha!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hehe, sadly more of a Marvel-girl than a DC-girl ;)
We'll see what other name sticks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last night I picked up the new cage/castle for my boys!
It's slightly less wide, but higher than the cage I have them in at the moment and with both horizontal and vertical bars, so climbing should be easier for them.

I'll completely clean the cage tonight. The person I bought it from (it's a secondhand cage) said she had cleaned it, and overal it is very clean and looks as if it has only been used shortly. But when I took out some of the perches she'd put in there because I wanted to clean those myself just to be sure, there was still a bit of dirt and poop between them and the cage wires. So I'll go buy some vinegar once I get home from school and wipe down the cage in its entirety, before putting everything in there and moving the boys to their new cage!

That last bit will probably end up being a bit of a challenge, as they haven't learned to step up yet and are still fairly scared. I'll post an update later today, with pictures of their new palace and to let you guys know how it went :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you can somehow put the cages together door facing door and just give them time, they might pop over into the new cage on their own.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We ended up transferring them by hand, and it actually went pretty well! The only screaming that happened (very briefly) was when Loki was in the one cage and Marvel in the other, and they were 'separated' from each other for a moment. Which I find completely understandable as a reason for them to panic, as everything is still new to them except for the other bird they live with... and then suddenly that other bird is GONE?! :eek:

They're in their new cage now! I love how it allows me to hang up more toys and such, and still has more space for flying around than the other one, since it's quite a bit higher than the old cage. I just checked in on them, and they are two happy balls of fluff dozing off next to eachother. <3

I even achieved a bit of a milestone today with my little boys, because we (me and my roommate, whom owns a 1-year-old lovebird and thus has gone through this same 'routine' a little over a year ago) managed to get Loki and Marvel to sit with us!!

At first they were a little bit nippy, but nothing too bad, and it really was pretty clear that they were just not so much used to being 'held' (just being covered with a hand) against a human. Which was to be expected, since they didn't get handled much in the 3 weeks I was away from school, but I am so glad that they haven't forgotten everything!

They quickly quieted down, just chilling while having their heads rubbed and scritched, and then decided that yes, they would actually love to eat some millet, thank you! :D
Eventually my roommate was able to keep his hand above/behind them without touching them, and they happily stayed where they were without flying off. The only thing they wanted was to get their heads rubbed and scritched!

I am so, so much in love with these two, and so very proud of them for how well-behaved they were tonight. They are adapting to the changes to their lives so very quickly.
It's very clear to see that they are a ton less scared of humans than they were when I first picked them up. Only a short week ago I got bitten by both until I bled. Now they are not flying away in fear to crawl in the corner farthest away, when someone comes up to the cage, and today with me having been able to scritch them...
They are happily eating heaps of their seeds from their bowl and strip down their millet in a day like it's nothing. When there's people around, talking, they even happily chirp along, so it seems!

We'll see what tomorrow brings, all three of us are pretty sleepy now and about to doze off for the night. But I'll make sure to share the next 'adventure' with my little buddies!

--
Lore, Loki and Marvel

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So cute that I have to share: Marvel and Loki eating some millet and dozing off on my stomach!
You can watch it on my instagram!

They're actually asleep on me, side by side, cuddles up against my hand. It makes typing this on my phone a bit harder, but it's so worth it! :)

Fast asleep... :) <3

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I cleaned out and completely changed my boys' cage the other day (except for their sleeping perch). I completely forgot to take a "before" picture, and just realized I didn't take an "after" picture, either! Silly me. :D
Here's one of it all empty:

Marvel and Loki refused to go out, so I closed the door when I took the picture.

Toy pile!! Hoarder???? Me?! Naaaah :D ;)

"We're very brave birds! We dared go outside of the cage!
.... Going further outside is still a bit scary though" :D

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Nah, that's not toy hoarding! You only have one cage's worth of toys. Talk to me when they have their third cage, and then we'll see. ;)
:D They might like a rope perch on the outside of the cage connecting the side to the top. It is a good first step between staying in the cage and exploring the world. It feels like it is part of the cage to them, but gets them outside the bars and into the possibility of stepping off the cage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts