• 5+ hours a day

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hate to admit this but I am thinking about getting one more parrotlet, this one a tamed baby. I have a huge cage, lots of toys, know what to feed. The problem is the time factor. As you know I have 6 dogs that require walks daily and also 2 sons. How much time does a parrotlet need out of the cage to be happy and remain tame. I love having Olive and Elsie and they are great because they so far don't want much interaction and are happy with themselves. I know that a tame one will want interaction and that is ok, I am just not sure I have the time to give it what it needs. I realize it is a 20 yr commitment so I am really interested in the amount of time you spend daily with your parrotlet. I want to make sure I can properly take care of it, or I won't get one.

thanks

Yoshi's dad

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sounds like you're hooked ;) You will probably get various responses; however, the critical piece is the consistent daily interaction. You stated that you have a large cage for this parrotlet (I'm assuming that you are keeping the baby separated at this point from Elsie and Olive). If you provide plenty of toys to occupy the little one while you're busy but then always have the time to bring the baby out to spend time with you, it sounds like you want to do that.
The only thing is having 6 dogs and 2 boys that depend a lot of attention (I have two sons and I know how active we are)...should you see how it goes with Elsie and Olive and work with the girls on interaction. I know they are bonded but the time I'm sure will come that they want to explore as they take on their new home. Is there a specific parrotlet that you have fallen for?

You laid it all out regarding care, time to spend with them, just don't want you to overload your commitment. I'll be anxious to hear the feedback from the others.

Kiwi is with me through most of the day; however, my office is in my home so she has the luxury of hanging with me and has a smaller cage in my office. However, if you keep with a schedule to spend time each day and the little one has toys, etc. I'm certain you'll provide the proper care as you've already shown with the older girls.

I'll look forward to seeing what others post and what your final decision is..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mustang, I really need the honesty, Just because I want another isn't enough of a reason to get one. The boys are old enough that they are pretty independant, we have past the stage where they want to be with me all the time.:) The dogs too are semi-independant, we have our play time in the morning and when I get home plus the walks but then they pretty much like to lie around and sleep and play with eachother. I am interested in the amount of time people spend with their birds outside the cage.

Yoshi's dad

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think it's wonderful that you want to open your home & heart to the little one. If you feel that you can spend the time --- even if you have a playstand or let the bird sit on your shoulder while you read (they love to cuddle against your neck) and can do this daily, then I'm certain you would have a wonderful relationship with the baby. who knows the older ladies may be encouraged to come out and interact with you and the little one (once they are totally settled and show signs that they want to). I'm on the extreme with the time out of cage due to my home office.

Catfish may be able to supply some valuable feedback with time spent with his crew due to his schedule and # of animals to tend to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts