Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to probably be buying 3 or 4 pacific parrotlets,​

The only thing I'm woundering is will they be ok all together? I read they can get a bit agressive towards each other when in pairs .. but I would be having all siblings most likley but no pairs.​

Should I get all females or all males, somthing like that?​

Also there not too loud right? I mean I own a conure and lovebird .. so geussing by these little birds size there not very loud ... I would keep them busy with toys and they'll have a large cage to live in all together.​

I have seen them at the pet store all together, there where about 7 of them all together snuggled and they all seemed happy together ^_^​

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Regarding parrotlets per cage; I was told: 1 - great; 2 - with caution, 3 or more - NO! According to the other members it is not recommended to have multiple Pacifics together (I wanted to add a third bird but was talked out of it). The birds become territorial as they mature and you will likely run into problems. You can also run into problems if one pair sees another pair in a different cage!

Think of Parrotlets as minature Amazons rather than short tailed parakeets.

Good Luck,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art is exactly right..exactly. Don't be fooled by a pet store situation. When you get them home and they mature you could have serious problems that could cause permenant injury. You know these little birds are not cheap and when you said 3 or 4 maybe well your talking about a big investment..my heart felt advice would be to read all you can,post, look around and ask all the questions you can before your make that purchase Read Chief's post about the cross species pair that he got talked into. They are little but not in temperment..hope that helps, others will post for you too but Art is right. I think DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST, you owe that to the little birds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Total agreement with Art & memmey! First of all the ones in the pet store are probably babies. As they mature their behavior will change. When thinking Parrotlet, think "Parrot". I am curious on why, if you are not looking at having a pair, you would want so many? Parrotlets need lots of human interaction. They aren't really a "group" type bird. And with the situation you are proposing, (no pair, several same sex) you will probably have issues regarding dominance over the cage & over you. You could possibly end up with missing toes or even a dead bird. Please do the homework memmey is proposing before committing to a situation that could be disastrous.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Having just one is a great way to have a fun and close relationship with a parrot. I would start with one and a BIG cage! Even one Parrotlet needs a very large cage, lots of toys and perches.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of relationship you want to have with your bird(s). Before diving right in and buying 3 or 4 P'lets, I strongly suggest that you try just one first. Most people I know actually prefer to have a single one so they can bond to their little feathered friend really well.

I agree with everything that's been said above. They are demanding little birds and even one is indeed a handful to manage. Personally, I would prefer to have one single bird spoiled to the max with attention than have several that don't get enough attention. Of course, I also don't know how your lifestyle is like but this is just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, spoiling one really tame Parrotlet is so much fun!! I have so much fun playing with Chipper and buying toys and cooking for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts