Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need your honest opinions. I am currently thinking about adopting 2 five year old parrotlet girls. They have been together since birth and I do not want to separate them. I am concerned that they may eventually get tired of eachother and become aggressive with eachother. I have done lots of research and know the toys, foods, and housing requirements. I have other birds too. Their cage will be : 37-1/4" Lx 27-1/2" w x 29-1/2" high. It will also have a solar bulb that I use with my other birds. Ok here is the kicker so to speak. I doubt they have been handled much and honestly I don't have time to play with them. I have 2 kids, 5 dogs and am hoping that due to their past lifestyle they will be happy without major human interaction. My cages are high and safe from the dogs. I know most people want them to play with but I doubt at this age they will be very handleable or want to be handled. Let me know what you think. My other birds are canaries, zebra, java, society finches and orange cheek waxbills. I had lovebirds but they needed too much interaction so I gave them to a good friend who has time to play with them outside of the cage for 4 hours a day. I thought they would be better off with my friend where they had more time outside of the cage than I could give them. Also are they slightly quieter than lovebirds

thanks for listening

Yoshi

·
Registered
794 Posts
Please don't offended but just sitting in a cage without interaction sounds like jail. Why did you say you want them? They are VERY intelligent and make noise. I guess I'm confused why you would want them if you never intend to interact with them. If your rescuing them from a bad situation maybe but the little poor things need some hope to live and be happy little birds. Just like you would if you were in a cage.

We should all have to sit in a cage so we would have empathy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If they are in a bad situation, and your home would be an improvement, it wouldn't be a bad thing. I would rather have them in a good home where they get what they need (even if there is no out of the cage time) then stay in a bad situation where they could become aggressive with one another. You COULD just foster them for a time and find someone that would be willing to work with them to socialize them. P'lets can eventually learn to like humans (and that is at any age), but it takes patience. It would be best for them to get time out of the cage, but like I said, if you are taking them from a bad situation already, they will appreciate a better home regardless of out of cage time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please don't offended but just sitting in a cage without interaction sounds like jail. Why did you say you want them? They are VERY intelligent and make noise. I guess I'm confused why you would want them if you never intend to interact with them. If your rescuing them from a bad situation maybe but the little poor things need some hope to live and be happy little birds. Just like you would if you were in a cage.

We should all have to sit in a cage so we would have empathy.
no offense taken, They are in a semi bad situation in my opinion, tiny cage, low quality seed, no greens or fruit, no lighting. No interaction with Humans. I can provide them with plenty of room, toys , good quality food. I know parrotlets are social however after five years of minimum human interaction I don't think it is realistic to expect them to want alot of human interaction and perhaps cruel trying to train them into being something they probably will never be. I will talk to them daily, feed and replace water daily. I just don't have 3 hours + to play with them. They are bonded with each other and not with humans. In this case I was thinking it is a win win situation. They will have a better home and better care and not be expected to be human companions and I will beable to have parrotlets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I understand what you mean Yoshi. It this point they're comfortably bonded with one another and have very limited interaction with humans. In fact, you don't really think they require any interaction with humans because they are essentially wild, and forcing interaction on them might stress them out more than help them.
I think its a great idea that you are adopting them if you can give them better living conditions. =)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It sounds like you would provide them with a better home, but you can be surprised on how they may respond with some work when it comes to human interaction.

We have a member here (who is on break) that has a history with older non tame birds that she can handle after working with them. She recommends clicker training and positive reinforcement to win them over.

Now we aren't saying you must do that, but we are saying you might be surprised by this. You don't have to spend 3+ hours a day with them. Even a short amount of time training them a night should be enough to help at least tolerate you, and maybe they will be more welcome of you and be willing to sit with you. It may not happen, but I really do believe that even working with them 1 hour a day will help them out in the end to be more friendly.

I believe there are some members here who have adopted older birds and simply talked with them, gave them attention, and handed them really yummy treats that have managed to tame them after a decent period of time.

Just because they are 5, don't rule out they can't be tamed. It is possible~ but anyways, I would adopt them if I were you. They may be bonded, but in a tiny cage and continued stress, they may turn on each other. Just keep an open mind ;)

Oh and there are many cases of other species of birds that have been tamed down when they are older. This for a while was topic on my quaker parrot forum. I know they are different species, but just because the p'let is smaller, doesn't make them any less intelligent... compared to my 2 quakers, I really think my 2 p'lets are much smarter... or more onery.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's wonderful that you want to rescue the two little ones and give them a better quality of life. It's a step in the right direction and as the others have stated, with a bit of time, they may show signs that they want to interact with you as well. At 5 years old, they still have plenty of years with you and I think you'll be surprised how they will respond when they get a welcoming environment and good food and care. Please keep us posted...good luck!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If they are not eating veggies, fruit, birdie breads etc. and are in a small cage without wonderful toys, they will be happy to be in a big cage! You can provide many wonderful toys and food. You can hopefully make time for them also.

I think you can improve thier lives. Glad you are trying to help them! We are here to help and encourage you.

Best case scenerio is that you are able to play with them, but being with them and talking to them and giving the foods and cage/toys they need is the first place to start.

I love Parrotlets SO much! My Chipper was a wild girl and we are very close buddies now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got word I can adopt them. The woman who is fostering them is a member of my bird club. She thinks they will be perfect for me. She says they go ballastic when people get too close. I received 2 pictures they look really pale in color and also smaller than the parrotlets I have seen before. I imagine it is from the lack of proper lighting and food. I can pick them up Sunday so I have a few days to prepare the cage. I have tons of toys including a wheel , I will get fresh food for them on Satuday
yoshi's dad

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
yoshi's Dad - sounds like you are better equipped to give these two more of what they need than their previous owner. At least they are being adopted out together it would be very stressful if they were separated and have to move to a new owner and a new location alone.

I'm quite sure once you have these two you will see what inquisitive creatures they are and how they will come around with the proper care and feeding. I bet before long they will be flying around your house and you will be interacting with them ;)

Give them as large of a cage as you can and it will minimize any worry you may have of them injuring each other.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I wish them good luck and a good home. Mine is a rescue also. She had to adjust to being in the light. She bonded with a lamp for the longest time. I guess she loved being able to see. Finally I weaned her away as we were together interacting. Poor thing she loved a lamp, light is a precious thing when you are deprived of it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
light is a precious thing when you are deprived of it.
Thats so true Memmey :) -

Poor Jo' I can only imagine what horror she went through - I hope she knows how lucky she was when you walked in and saw her (although I'm sure she is) - how long ago now, 8 years? - you've been the new "Light" of her life since then ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's such a great feeling when you take a bird in and watch their lives improve. I rescued my youngest parakeet from a friend's daughter who bought him on an impulse! He is so adorable and I'm so happy to have him with me. Hats off to Yoshi's dad and Memmey for the adoptions!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks for the kind words P and Mustang. Actually Jo is sorta bossy and she can be rough on me. It's the bell...she rings it for me to do what she wants done. In fact when company comes over that she likes she rings it for them to. She likes to be flattered. Everyone has to pay homage to the Queen.
She and I are close friends. If I am at the computer and I listen to Pavarotti she starts ringing that darn bell for me to come and get her. She loves the Maestro as much as I do . Her fav song "una furtiva lagrima". She loves it. Little birds know a beautiful voice when they hear it.
She was pitiful but not anymore. She is a trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jykAYgeXjM

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Memmey - I have to laugh about the music...we put on Trans Siberian Orchestra and Kiwi sang to her heart's delight. She'll sit at the front window in the living room and sing -- she doesn't even care if I'm in the room at that point. These little birds have more character than I ever imagined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts