Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm starting this thread to post things that are toxic to parrotlets.

If you are unsure about something being toxic, post saying you are unsure. This is for yours and my benefit.

If you have read somewhere that something is toxic but is not widely known, please post the source so others can confirm the information.

Remember also, when feeding or using anything on your parrotlet or any other pet, if you are unsure, ask your vet or do not use it unless it has been verified by reliable source. The saying "when in doubt, leave it out", is the safest way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to start:

Avocados - Many people feel avocados are toxic, others feel they are safe. Personally, I would not risk it.

Chocolate

Junk food of all types - for the same reasons it is unhealthy for humans
............................

Are gassy veggies OK to feed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Here's one for you: tissues! Do not let your bird chew on tissues that are advertised as germ-killing. Between the layers, they have a form of pesticide to kill germs so people don't pass their colds on to other family members. Also, I would not let my bird chew on the tissues that have moisturizer added to them. Moisturizer is not a pesticide, but it is usually petroleum-based, so is not on the safe list at my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Lily, great post on the tissues - I didn't even think about that!
Glad I haven't given him one of those.

Thanks for starting this, Rebecca and Kiwi!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
How about twistems? The ones that are paper or plastic-covered wire would be dangerous because the bird might chew the wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard that scented candles are one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
all candles are dangerous. anything burning is a no no around birds. perfumes, aerosals, strong scented soaps/shampoo/conditioner/body lotion/etc... basicallly anything that is a strong scented spray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Blek! I try to keep natural and pure as often as possible, avoiding stuff like that. I didn't know it had a form of pesticide, that is really gross to me.



Here's one for you: tissues! Do not let your bird chew on tissues that are advertised as germ-killing. Between the layers, they have a form of pesticide to kill germs so people don't pass their colds on to other family members. Also, I would not let my bird chew on the tissues that have moisturizer added to them. Moisturizer is not a pesticide, but it is usually petroleum-based, so is not on the safe list at my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
What do you think of colored fabric, toothpicks, and the cotton that comes out of vitamin bottles? Which would be safe for a bird? Any opinions/ experience? (I should note that my bird's favorite pastime is unravelling strips of fabric-- I just thought it would be fun to let her undo brightly colored fabric, if it is safe.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Out of those choices I would only let my birds play with the toothpicks –

Although I don’t consider myself overcautious I did have a bird – a Senegal - strangle herself on a small plastic basket with holes in it. I would fear the same happening to the P’lets with frayed fabric if left unattended.

Even supervised, it would be hard to say if the colors would be harmful – they are dyed so that might be a problem and fabric is made in so many different places around the world who all have different levels of preparation – so who know what chemicals there is in one compared to another.

The cotton out of vitamins or pill jars – I would be fearful the cotton might have absorbed some of the ingredients of the pills –

Although my Senegal used to love playing with Q-tips.

Okay – maybe I am somewhat cautious :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
I wouldn't allow it to play with the toothpicks in fear of swallowing a small piece.
I am careful with EVERYTHING! My parrotlet is not allowed out of the cage unless he is always in my supervision...he is very curious, and will eat anything!! Its a scary scary thing. Unfortunately, they don' grow out of this! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
A great and a safe cleanser is Grapefruit Seed Extract or GSE - you get it on Line or at most Health Food Stores. Its great for disinfecting the bird cage and their food cups - just some drops in the sink with a bit of water and rinse the cleaning towel.

Its used for humans to drink in juice or water (although in the water its very bitter) but it wards off sickness etc - Great Stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
I use a mixture of vinegar, water, and lemon juice.... very acidic and kills most bacteria. You really don't need the lemon juice, I just use it for sent.
 
1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Top