Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many other parrotlet owners out there have birds that go loco when they hear or see a crinkley bag?

My parrotlet, Kricket goes crazy when he hears or sees one and I unknowingly exacerbated the issue at a young age by increasing his exposure to plastic bags tenfold. It's adorable but after 9 years he's psychotic.

Also, I'm surprised at the statement that parrotlets are quiet birds. I'm sure Kricket is more quiet than most of the rest of parrotkind...but he can still be so incredibly loud.

I can't sit in the same room without him screaming my ear off to force me let him out of his cage. (Just so you know he comes out when I'm home and since I work from home 4/5 days a week this bird spends more waking hours out of his cage than in it.)

Oh, and they can totally control their bladders. My bird will purposely poop on me when I've done something to make him peeved (actually, he flys to me, poops, and then flys away). And when he's happy with me he will be hanging out on me, then fly away (I feel blessed when it happens to be to the trashcan) and poop, then fly back to my shoulder.

Has anybody successfully trained their birds to only poop in one spot of the house? Like a trash can or their cage?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Micah is sort of semi-potty trained. Sometimes when he's out he'll fly back to the cage to go, but if we're playing or something and he's distracted, he'll just go wherever he's at. I praise him when he remembers to fly back to the cage, and don't make a fuss over it when he doesn't.

He doesn't go crazy over plastic bags, but he's a fan of tissue paper. If I crinkle that, he comes running.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I can crnkle bags till the cows come home, no responce from Huey. If hubby so much as hold one in his hands Huey goes nuts!

He usually does not poop on us, he will back up and poop over the edge so to speak, sometimes that edge is really not an edge and he poops on us. lol

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
That is so funny, 9 years?! Wow. Melody goes absolutely nuts over running water. She gets so exited you can see the feathers on her back quivering. :p:p:p

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
My husband is not a bird person, so it's all ON me.
Ollie loves hearing the plastic bag for his food opening. He clambers to get out of his cage, too. I have a male budgie and together they will make a lot of noise for a while, then it stops. It is hard to ignore or watch TV.
First poop of the day is on the kitchen table in the morning before a nutriberry breakfast. It usually indicates how nicely he eats his greens. He marks his territory with other poos in various places on my shoulder.
He nags with chirps at me to get him out of his cage during day. He loves to hang out even with little interaction while I watch TV.
Both birds are healthy and chirpy-----so it's ok.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Tumi goes nuts for plastic bags and tissues. :D
Yes, they are "quiet" for a parrot. Parrots are noisy creatures, and parrotlets are among the quietest of these creatures.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Levi will "mutter" when you crinkle a plastic bag and get really excited... he knows the sound of the nutriberry bag from the sound of any other plastic bag!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Also, I find Levi is SO QUIET compared to the lovebird I grew up with. Buddy (the lovebird) can absolutely screech when he's in the mood. His flock call for my dad is so loud it can wake up the whole house. Even just his happy chirps are really loud, especially when they're in your ear. Comparatively, at Levi's loudest he isn't as loud as Buddy's normal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hannah loves Tissue paper

I lined there cage with a no wax deli wrap. Hannah goes nut when
her cage get cleaned out. She love to play with the crumpled up
paper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
plastic bags and vitamin bottles

my Trixie goes nuts when i pull out plastic bags and when i shake my vitamin bottles. drives her batty! she lunges at the vitamin bottles she gets so mad! over the last year, Trixie squawks super loud when she wants to be let out of the cage. it drives my husband nuts and it's starting to get to me. we have to be more consistent with each other and how we handle it. He had the right idea, ignore her when she squawks. But often i just let her out so she'll stop. Not good. All she wants is to hang out with us and get head scratches. period.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Fifer would go nuts over plastic bags. If we didn't know where she was in the house, that would be one way to find her. Kingston is so-so on them. Interested, but not quite sure about them.

In terms of noise, it's all relative. Fifer couldn't get as loud as Nichi (sun conure), but she was noisier. Kingston is much quieter. He gets going sometimes, but it's not that loud (until Nichi chimes in - she doesn't realize she does not sound as pretty)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My little guy, Zazoo, can be quite the screamer too! I often wonder the reason he's so aggressive is because he wasn't hand fed as a baby :p I don't understand how people call parrotlets quiet either!! I had a friend over the other day and she swears Zazoo was louder than her five indian ringnecks altogether:eek:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
My little guy, Zazoo, can be quite the screamer too! I often wonder the reason he's so aggressive is because he wasn't hand fed as a baby :p I don't understand how people call parrotlets quiet either!! I had a friend over the other day and she swears Zazoo was louder than her five indian ringnecks altogether:eek:
It all depends on how you define loud. Ever hear a Green Amazon or any other larger parrot? I'll take a parrotlet anytime!;)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Huey was not hand fed either. He is not overly loud and not overly aggressive. He is not overly friendly either lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parrotlet and plastic bags

I have a 10 week old celestial parrotlet and she goes nuts when I get a new rubbish bag out with minimal scrunching.
Also thicker bags and shopping plastic bags she will squawk and squeak and tell me off whilst pounding back and forth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts