Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It sounds like he's regurgitating to me also. My male does it to my female all the time. It’s the first thing he did when they met.

Its a side to side head motion - almost like a sideways figure eight - Nothing comes up if she doesn't take his beak - but when he does it and she takes his beak in hers he feeds her - you can see the food transfer.

My Senegal used to do a similar side-to-side bob when I played music but when my Parrotlet does it he's feeding his mate :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Regurgitation is a sign of affection, but it is not a good idea to lead this behavior on. This is a mating behavior, and obviously you cannot fulfill all of those needs ;)

Some birds will have food come all the way up and out. Some have no food come up, some will regurgitate it into their mouth and then re-eat it!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Kathy, your description sounds to me like snaking rather than an attempt to regurgitate. I have had birds do both to me. The regurgitation looks more "gagging" than you described, and the head does not move as much side to side. The movement you described-- with the large, fluid, dancelike movements I wold call snaking.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Regurgitation is a sign of affection, but it is not a good idea to lead this behavior on. This is a mating behavior, and obviously you cannot fulfill all of those needs ;)

Some birds will have food come all the way up and out. Some have no food come up, some will regurgitate it into their mouth and then re-eat it!
my green boy just did this today after I fed them hard boiled egg--
I had taken away the dish and looked in the cage and he was chewing wildy
on a large piece of yolk.. I got pretty confused because there was no more egg
in the cage and it must have come from his belly.

then a few minutes later he did the wiggleneck thing and another big piece
came out in his beak and he chewed on that again and swallowed most of it

he made no attempt from what I saw to feed my other male or me.

maybe he ate too fast?
do birds throw up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Head Snaking

Hey Everyone,
My little Lola has been doing this Snaking thing to me on occasion, its happened before when shes in her cage, inside her tent and I come near her with my finger from the outside of the cage, or today it was after I took her out, she was runnning away from me and snaking her head at me. It was hard to interpret if she was being aggressive or what exactly she was trying to tell me. Once I caught her, she stopped. Can anyone help interpret? Thank you!

Cheers,
Tania

1 - 20 of 20 Posts