Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
What a great story ozzie. You’re right. It really is hard on us to leave our little fluffballs for vacations and the like. Kiwi has always come everywhere with us on day trips, when visiting family or going to the cottage. Happily, she has always enjoyed a road trip and very much enjoyed being the centre of attention. She still loves a road trip but is less interested in hustle and bustle of lots of people.

I have been very fortunate to have a very experienced bird sitter for Kiwi’s entire life. She only boards birds and Kiwi loved it there. She always came back home very happy and chatty and with new sounds she had picked up from the other birds. She had her small birds separate from her large parrots and makes separate batches of mash for them all. Kiwi actually got warm oatmeal from a spoon as her afternoon snack. Whaaaaat? I called it the Birdie Spa. As a bonus, this woman lived 10 minutes from my house! Talk about fortunate. She is 2 hours from me now (we moved) and Kiwi did not go there during COVID so I do wonder how she fared through all of that. I did not travel last winter because of her and my old doggie who passed away in December. I will see what this year brings. But as you can see, Kiwi means that much to me and my husband that we are actually avoiding getting out of here in the depths of winter so Kiwi will be safe and comfortable.

Reactions: Anya

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Well Rio is home. He had a good stay and seems happy.
We got him at 9:30 Sunday morning. He has been a unholy terror ever since.
First unbelievable non stop flock calling. Went on for hours. Guess he was missing his little buddy.
Then he went into attack mode. I have been bitten more today than in the last few years. And it is not accidental bites, he is going out of his way to get skin.
He has tossed every coin, bottle cap, wobble toy, medicine bottle off any surfaces
I do not think he took one nap all day.
When ever I tried to nap he would attack me.
And the wiggle necks. I have been wiggle necked at a bunch today.
Normal bedtime is 7:00, took until 10pm to force him into bed.
Got him out a bit late this morning. He bit me twice in 15 minutes.
I think he is happy to be home and made we left him and a bunch of other stuff.
I am going to give him about a week to sort himself out and if not I am clipping his feathers / ego for a bit.
It is time for a vet visit anyway.
Ooh. Ouch. That’s nasty. What is with these Rio’s? I guess he’s letting you know how he feels about his flock leaving without him. I sure hope he settles down. Let’s count first day back as a bust and see where he goes from here. Silly bird.

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
That’s really funny but not funny at the same time. He’s sure a character.

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
It’s great you understand him so well. I am sure it tries your patience. It would try mine. Kiwi really was a bit of a menace like that when she was young. She’s so quiet and chill now. I am actually sitting outside and she’s all tucked into my hair grinding her beak and just hanging while we watch the hummingbirds terrorize each other. I think both of us are happy that terrorizing isn’t her anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts