Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on vacation this week. We went to Myrtle Beach for the week as we do every year with our friends from High School. We have been doing it for about 40 years. It is always a bit stressful for us since we got birds. The question is what to do with them. They are close and dear to our hearts. When we first got Jules and Bo we put them up at a place that said they took in animals but mainly just did dogs and cats. I suspect the strain of that had something to do with us losing Bo shortly after. After that Jules became a only bird and in a way became more of a family member. We started looking but never found a situation for a bird sitter we like / trusted so we just took her with us. She traveled well and was the life of the party anywhere we showed up. Lots of good memories and meeting good people as any child within range and their adults keeper would flock to the little bird with a big attitude. Still there was a strain. We had to sneak her into hotels, condos and rental houses. If they did room visits there could be issue getting us tossed. We discovered that we could pick her calls out from other birds when my mother took her out on the 16th floor ocean view balcony to with her and we kept hearing her call while we were walking below. Many good times with her and I am glad we had them. Anyway during COVID and Jules going through the end of things we had to switch vets and the avian vet techs at the new place are well schooled in birds and take in boarding birds on the side. They are a couple of them there that do it and they all have dogs, cats, bunnies, and parrots. That mean Rio is getting boarded this year while we are gone by a nice lady that handle smart sassy birds daily. He is currently being housed with the lady's Blue Fronted Amazon. Housing being where they can hear each other maybe see each other but caged separately. She described Rio as being a fine chatty little bird and both birds spend a great deal of time chatting between them. Below is a pic she sent of him chowing down. I think he looks happy. But still I miss him. There is a Rio space missing from my life here on vacation and I miss his presence and his antics, but maybe not his bitting. Bird ownership is a strange thing. It is amazing how such small bits of fluff get a hold of our hearts and souls.

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Mammal

Reactions: Anya and ginziputzi

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rio to me seems to be the adventurous and inquisitive type of bird. He may very well be enjoying the change of scenery. Having another bird to chat with is probably keeping him happily occupied. And the picture, well, he certainly looks like he is enjoying his grub! lol He DOES look happy! That is great! The main thing is you have him with someone who knows how take care of birds and you can trust! You are a responsible parront. But I can understand why you may still worry, and that you miss him. He is a big part of your life, and he is your baby, and we parronts know that there is no one on this little blue planet that can take better care of our birds than us! It is because we love them so dang much. And we know them! But Rizzie is right. They adjust well. Look at Jackie’s Kiwi! Once I have had Pugsley for a while, I will start taking him on day outings to a park or the beach because eventually, I hope to take a trip up to the mountains or up the coast. So, I am hoping he does well in the car or else I will pack him off to the breeder. I know if that happens, I will be feeling the exact same way as you are now, even though he will be in very competent hands. Great that you are getting pics and updates on how Rio is doing. That would make me feel better. Just enjoy your vacation and you will be back with your little guy before you know it! Being a parrotlet, he might surprise you with a few things he has picked up while you were gone! You'll have to let us know how he is doing when he is back to his “Home Tweet Home”. Do you think he check to make sure that everything is as he left it? lol

I remember reading about your adventures with Jules to Myrtle beach! Lovely that you had such happy times with your little blue girl. I bet your friends loved her! How often do people get to vacation with a bird? Those are wonderful memories that you and your wife will have forever. 💙
jules at myrtle was some fun times. The gang we hang with had lots of kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews. They grew up with her. Still ask about her and now Rio. Most likely introduced birds to 30+ kids over the years

Reactions: ginziputzi and Anya

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Rio is home. He had a good stay and seems happy.
We got him at 9:30 Sunday morning. He has been a unholy terror ever since.
First unbelievable non stop flock calling. Went on for hours. Guess he was missing his little buddy.
Then he went into attack mode. I have been bitten more today than in the last few years. And it is not accidental bites, he is going out of his way to get skin.
He has tossed every coin, bottle cap, wobble toy, medicine bottle off any surfaces
I do not think he took one nap all day.
When ever I tried to nap he would attack me.
And the wiggle necks. I have been wiggle necked at a bunch today.
Normal bedtime is 7:00, took until 10pm to force him into bed.
Got him out a bit late this morning. He bit me twice in 15 minutes.
I think he is happy to be home and made we left him and a bunch of other stuff.
I am going to give him about a week to sort himself out and if not I am clipping his feathers / ego for a bit.
It is time for a vet visit anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is a bit better today. I think breaking his cycle has him worked up. Had to manhandle him to get him caged tonight and last night. With Jules all I had to do was dim lights and she would settle down. With Rio it is like he has night vision on and runs seal team six. The little stinker.

• Haha

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already there, I suspect he got a bit spoiled with the sitter. She is a bird person but she have a Blue-Fronted Amazon with a bit different needs. She mention that she plays music for her guy and that Rio and her bird chattered a lot. Some of that may be an issue. One we are a quiet house. We do not play music all the time and we have noticed that our little ones did not care for it that much. Also I would not be surprised if she had a later bed time for her birds. He seems to be on a 10pm night time now. We are already getting him back to his normal feed, quiet house and bed time. Monday night I forced him to bed at 9pm. Tonight it will go to 8pm which is closer to his normal.

Also think a lot of this is that he is just happy to be back with his flock and the excitement of that. I have a theory of birds, their smarts and stuff. I notice they are quite bright while calm but when they get excited all that goes out the window and it is all fight or flight, bully or run. Added to that he is a 2 year old male with all that young male hormone stuff. I am sure I am one of the subjects of his desire because I am getting a lot of wiggle necks and bullying. I think it is his version of dating. Anyway we will get him sorted out in time. Just a bit painful now.

Today will be interesting. I am working in the office and the wife is out of town so Rio gets a day in his cage by himself. I uncovered him when I left at 8am. Curious how he will be when we get home tonight.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well just got home and let him out. He did two laps around the house looking for my wife and is now tucked under my chin looking for some loving.....

• Love

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awwww! Rio loves you guys! I bet he missed snuggling under your chin. He is probably thinking, "Vacation was fun, but there is no place like home!" 💗
We also have storms in the area. When storms are around my guys always get a bit sticky and sort of Velcro to us / me. So far no bites and head rubs required. He just flew down to beat up some medicine bottles.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So we got him back on Sunday. Today was my first work from home day since we got back and I have spent the day with him. So far all is getting back to normal. Actually maybe a little better than normal in that he was getting to be a bit of a punk before the trip, now he seems to be a lot more friendly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts