Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned before the mercurial nature of our lovable little one. This can not be expressed enough.
Today I am home from work for the week. So I am cyber shopping while my wife is remote working.
Because she is working I get Rio since he is being a pain today.
So he can not sit still. First he is on my head, then he is on my hands, then he is on my shoulder picking at my ears.
Chirping like crazy. Sort of like a parrotlet imitating a machine gun. Something in the trash can really has his attention.
Then he decided to bite everything, especially me. ALOT.
So I get him in my hand just to keep him from biting me. So I look at him and think, if I just squeezed it would end the biting.
Then Rio in my hand decides it is time to sleep. So there he is in my hand napping and purring. The purring so low you can only feel it.
So your heart just melts and you fall in love with them again.
Then he wakes and moves up to my top of my hand and starts nipping a bit to get my attention.
Then he lowers his head and starts begging for scritches for the 30 minutes or so.
So much that he turns into a puddle of loose feathers with his head just twisting this and that so you can get the right spot.
And that is a parrotlet. A bit painful, a bit frustrating but lovable in all so many waya.......

He is now tucked under my chin taking a nap where he can be warm and chitter away.... :love: :love: :love: :love:

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
So beautifully said, Ozzie. That is indeed our little fluffballs and truly their effect on us. The kindness you bestow on him pays off, as it always does. You’re a lucky little fella, Rio. 💕

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can totally relate. Sometimes Pip just likes to hang out on his own, but other times he can be such a pest. The other day he snuck up and bit my big toe. Ouch. Mostly he is happiest finding a spot on me to doze, or to demand my attention and scritches. And I’m such a softee that I sit there so he can be comfortable. When he gets too nippy around my neck, I have been known to put on a bandanna. The worst is when I am getting his veggies prepared. He gets so excited and he bites. Sometimes I just want to shut the cage door, but I only do that at night or if he really chomps down and he needs to have a time out.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Then he decided to bite everything, especially me. ALOT.
So I get him in my hand just to keep him from biting me.
Ouch. Well, you know what they say, don't you? You can take the bird out of the jungle, but not the jungle out of the bird! 😄 Joking aside, I am glad you have such sweet moments with Rio. Under that tough exterior of feathers, he loves you and very glad he has you and your wife! 💛 Those machine gun sounds he makes - Pugsley makes them too. It is usually when he is in the middle of chirping his head off. And when he makes them, he gets super loud! I do not know why he does it. I do not think it is directed at me, I think it is just part of his repertoire - showing off his vocal skills. Who knows? I know they are called parrotlets, but I think if "Cuckoo birds" hadn't already been taken, it would have been the perfect name for them! lol They are nutty little birds...but how we love them. Best birds in the world.💗

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch. Well, you know what they say, don't you? You can take the bird out of the jungle, but not the jungle out of the bird! 😄 Joking aside, I am glad you have such sweet moments with Rio. Under that tough exterior of feathers, he loves you and very glad he has you and your wife! 💛 Those machine gun sounds he makes - Pugsley makes them too. It is usually when he is in the middle of chirping his head off. And when he makes them, he gets super loud! I do not know why he does it. I do not think it is directed at me, well, I do not think so, anyway. I think it is just part of his repertoire - showing off his vocal skills. Who knows? I know they are called parrotlets, but I think if "Cuckoo birds" hadn't already been taken, it would have been the perfect name for them! lol They are nutty little birds...but how we love them. Best birds in the world.💗
They are a new thing for me. Bo was very shy and we lost him so soon and long ago I do not remember. Jules never made them. With Rio I am starting to wonder if they are part of a boy bird mating ritual. That showing off to girl bird attention stuff. He usually has some wing flip / spread action on. Sort of showing off those boy bird blue colors.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cleopatra never made noises like that either. You may be right, it could possibly be a male thing. Cleopatra did do what I called her "jungle call" - that was really cool sounding. It really sounded like simething you would hear in a jungle.
I have been wanting to ask you a question. When you got Bo and Jules, how long did it take before you could give them scritches? I still haven't been able to give Pugsley any. When I try to touch his head, he opens his beak, moves his head around so fast, I can't get near it! lol And he never bites. He is so sweet about it. He gives little whimper noises like he is saying, Please don't! (Bless his little heart). I know better than to push it. I just say, "Okay Pugs, we'll try again tomorrow!" Just wondering how long it took with your guys.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleopatra never made noises like that either. You may be right, it could possibly be a male thing. Cleopatra did do what I called her "jungle call" - that was really cool sounding. It really sounded like simething you would hear in a jungle.
I have been wanting to ask you a question. When you got Bo and Jules, how long did it take before you could give them scritches? I still haven't been able to give Pugsley any. When I try to touch his head, he opens his beak, moves his head around so fast, I can't get near it! lol And he never bites. He is so sweet about it. He gives little whimper noises like he is saying, Please don't! (Bless his little heart). I know better than to push it. I just say, "Okay Pugs, we'll try again tomorrow!" Just wondering how long it took with your guys.
Never did with Bo, with Jules is was about 6 months in. I started with beak rubs, then under beak rubs and the next thing I know we were doing scritches. The big key is to start where they can see you and let them sort it out. It is a lot of trust for a little bird to let you move behind them or over them.

Rio came hand ready. He has always loved hands and scritches. Personality and a good breeder I guess.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Kiwi makes that mini machine gun sound when she’s unhappy with me, particularly when I am trying to get her out of my hair and she doesn’t want to go. Or when she used to fight me on going back into her cage. I always took it as her telling me off. She’s certainly never done it when she’s calm or getting her own way. lol!

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Tumi does a crazy sound like that when he is excited by one of his loves - tissues, crinkling plastic, pill bottles, etc. He starts chirping really fast and crazy, fluffs his feathers out, and loses his "beak manners." It is his obsession sound, very particular and very happy. I have always interpreted it as overly happy, but I tend to get bit when he is that excited.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So sweet that he falls asleep in your hand! After having Kai a year, her preference for napping is to have one foot on my finger while tucking the other up to stay warm. The whole hand is way too scary! :) I haven't had any success with getting her to repeat words or the 'k' sound for her name, but she will repeat a 'kiss' sound and give kisses and also repeats certain whistles depending on the time of day, especially at bedtime. I get duck-like quacks when she's feeling cuddly. I'm amazed at how dependent her daily schedule is on the daylight too, getting about 12 hours of covered cage time at night from 8pm (or later) during the summer to being ready for bed by 5pm now. I'm curious about this jungle call. Hmm...

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
So sweet that he falls asleep in your hand! After having Kai a year, her preference for napping is to have one foot on my finger while tucking the other up to stay warm. The whole hand is way too scary! :) I haven't had any success with getting her to repeat words or the 'k' sound for her name, but she will repeat a 'kiss' sound and give kisses and also repeats certain whistles depending on the time of day, especially at bedtime. I get duck-like quacks when she's feeling cuddly. I'm amazed at how dependent her daily schedule is on the daylight too, getting about 12 hours of covered cage time at night from 8pm (or later) during the summer to being ready for bed by 5pm now. I'm curious about this jungle call. Hmm...
It’s awesome that Kai is sleeping on your finger with one foot tucked up though. That is a real sign of trust - she is going sound asleep and planning to spend a long time there - LOL. Parrotlets typically sleep with one foot tucked up and actually, if you see them sleeping with both feet down, it is a sign of illness. She may not yet be ready for the hand nest cuddle thing (which I agree is the best feeling ever) but she’s sure showing she trusts you. Going sound asleep on a predator is nothing to shake a stick at!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts