Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to Petco today... and found a nice cage........

It is 30" high
23" wide
20 long" = it comes with 2 macaw toys and a bird rope. It has a huge cage door and two diffent perches. It is pretty big by my sight. It is big enough to hold two macaw toys... and it still has enough room for other toys.

They had another one that I didnt like at all, but you guys did tell me that wider is better

It is 20" high
20" long
30" wide = it comes with nothing and is $46.... no a big door and not a big cage at my sights. a Macaw toy cant fit in it.

How much space is needed for one adult sized parrotlet? I think that one cage is big enough... it holds two big parrot toys in it and still has enough to put more into it. I think that is big enough, right?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Here is the cage I have, the dimentions. I think that is a great size. 34 inches hight, 34 wide and 21 deep. I would not get anything smaller. The cages you saw are not good sizes unless they are just for a baby.

It really is not a choice to have lots of toys, it is a matter of mental and physical health. Just imagine being in a tiny home with nothing to do. Parrotlets are active and to keep them happy and healthy they need room and toys to explore. Parrots often pluck and have other problems from boredom.

There are some great sites to learn from. They can tell you all about the needs of a p'let. I can give some to you if you like.

http://www.kingscages.com/shop/view_product.php?product=ELF-3221

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm a bit different on this subject... mainly because i'm student funded and couldn't afford a mansion for my little Kai at the time.
Kai was in a pretty small cage... 20x15x24 I THINK. I never had any problems with it, and he liked it. Like I could fit a good deal of toys in it and everything he needs, and he was happy.
The thing is for me, is that he would really only spend his time in the cage when I was at school and his bed time. So every other time he was out with me, on his playgym, or running around on my bed playing with his toys.
I agree though that you should try to buy as big of a cage as you could afford, and unfortunately, I wasn't big enough into the bird world as I was there to find private retailers to get large cages at non-store prices, nor did I have a credit card (or parents willing to lend me theirs) to get one online.
I tend to try to stay out of the cage conversations, but that is my opinion. He was never cooped up in his cage all day, so he had plenty of exercise out of his cage. and he was a very happy and loving little bird.
Just stating my situation.
Good luck finding the right cage :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper is out all the time also. I am home all day. But she enjoys her cage. If we have to be gone for hours, I want her to have lots of room and fun. I don't want her to start to pluck. Parrotlets are so active and curious. Some birds don't need quite as much room, but these guys do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sally, do you know whether any retailers in Canada carry Kings cages? Or maybe one in NW Washington? I can't seem to find any but I'd be willing to drive down to Seattle to get one. Or perhaps they ship here?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The best advice I’ve received on cages: - is to buy the largest cage you can – remembering height isn’t as important as length and width and also the bar spacing must be no bigger than ½ inch.

Wait until you can afford both – the Bird and the appropriate cage. :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You can go to the website. Kings or any good cage will have a website. That is just the one I have. Others here also have big cages. They can help too. Here is the site. Just call or email and ask them.

I like name brands with nice sites, so I can ask if I need help with a question or problem. Maybe others have good sites too. http://www.kingscages.com/shop/view_product.php?product=ELF-3221
Whats nice about Kings is they actually answer your emails: I was surprised they answered me as most onLine places don't bother. ;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I will save up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts