Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is another Thanksgiving vacation anxiety question.

Normally when we travel we either leave Rio with Mom or take them to our bird sitter.

But this time we have a Thanksgiving trip that is only a couple of days. Basically we are leaving Wednesday late afternoon, doing Thanksgiving on Thursday and comming back on Friday morning so maybe back by 1 or 2. I am thinking that the time away is basically the same as one when we both work and Rio is home all day by himself and we may not get back to him before his bed time. The home all day without us is normal about one day a week. One that he does not see us because of bedtimes happens maybe once a month or so.

So basically I figure if we double up on his food and water to be sure all is well, maybe add some millet and sunflower seeds inside the cage which is not normal but should keep him happy. His lights are on timers. We have cameras to keep an eye on him (like normal).

I think this will be less disruptive to him than the bird sitter. With the sitter he has to be taken some place different (during cold weather) and kept with other birds in the house. This will have him with what he is used to mostly. Basically I am just looking for a gut check if I have things wrong or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Gut check on my part - he will be just fine. Even better that you will be able to keep an eye on him. Perhaps just have someone lined up who could pop over if you notice something on your cam. I sometimes set the tv on a timer to come on and off so there was a bit of human speak, if I was gone overnight for example. I don’t know that it benefited her that much but it made me feel better.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I double Sunshines food, both the seed and the pellets (he never finishes the pellets) and I put an extra water bowl in the cage. I easily leave him home alone one night. When it comes to two nights, I typically get someone to give him fresh water and more seed. If you give everything fresh before you leave wednesday he should be ok till friday when you get home. I always worry about the water. They are better at this than we are ;)

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I double Sunshines food, both the seed and the pellets (he never finishes the pellets) and I put an extra water bowl in the cage. I easily leave him home alone one night. When it comes to two nights, I typically get someone to give him fresh water and more seed. If you give everything fresh before you leave wednesday he should be ok till friday when you get home. I always worry about the water. They are better at this than we are ;)
He will be in his big cage. So we normally keep 2 water dishes and two food for him in that cage. I was planning to add and additional one of each so now 3 food and 3 water. His food will all be dry stuff maily nutriberries but I will put in some sun flower seeds and millet in this case. Normally I leave these treats for out of cage with us time.

Reactions: rizzie5022

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use my Google Hub Max regularly to check my bird (nest cam function) and play radio via tunein or YouTube for him on long days away.
My guys tend to get upset with noise unless we are around so they understand it is related to our lives. Nice thing about the cams is that you can watch this stuff and see waht works or not.
I use a low level system called Wyze which allows me cams and plug access.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gut check on my part - he will be just fine. Even better that you will be able to keep an eye on him. Perhaps just have someone lined up who could pop over if you notice something on your cam. I sometimes set the tv on a timer to come on and off so there was a bit of human speak, if I was gone overnight for example. I don’t know that it benefited her that much but it made me feel better.
We will have people locally we can bother if need to if it becomes necessary. Just prefer not to bother them unless we have too.
Also we are only about 3 hours away in the next city. If he is in trouble we can get home quick.
Rio does not care much about music or TV unless we are around.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
I think this is totally fine, it's really only one day. I would not hesitate at all! He will be absolutely fine.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems that Rio really wins this time. Family Thanksgiving sort of collapsed so Rio gets to spend the day with his flock.
Mom will be so happy to have the day with her grandbird.

• Love
Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do miss the way Huet would eat anything we ate. Mr picky doesn't eat anything other than broccoli and pepper seeds. Enjoy your day/
Rio is better about bird food than my previous pair. He will visit while we are eating and take a nibble where we let him just to check it out then head over to his coop cups for Nutriberries. My previous guys were carb junkies and we had shoo them away until we finished and then they went to their cups.

Reactions: rizzie5022

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Rio is better about bird food than my previous pair. He will visit while we are eating and take a nibble where we let him just to check it out then head over to his coop cups for Nutriberries. My previous guys were carb junkies and we had shoo them away until we finished and then they went to their cups.
I used to make Huey a plate of what he could eat. I have 1 1/2 square plates. That booger would check to be sure his matched mine lol. If he didnt have a plate he would come to ours. I dont share my plate lol

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rio was Happy for Thanksgiving. Jumping back and forth between people and running down our arms to see if they could get a bite here or there. (like we would stop him)

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no comparison between Rio and my previous pair when it comes to bird food. In addition to visiting while we eat, he will also take a nibble and then head over to his coop cups for Nutriberries. We had to shoo my previous guys away until we finished and then they went to their cups.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any particular flavour of Nutriberries that are favorites? I've tried one flavour with Harry, and she doesn't like it. I may have to try other flavours.
I have had best luck with El Paso Nutri-Berries

and Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries

All my birds dislike Garden Veggie Nutri-Berries,

Make sure to get the smallest pellet available. Depending on bird and age you may need to break them up a bit. I had to for Rio at first then later one he can handle on his own.

Reactions: HarryTheParrotlet
1 - 19 of 19 Posts