Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found you all. I met her at THE PERCH and, since I had a 5 wk old come into my life this week, she directed me here.
Bchins helped me get here too. ;o)

as well as my new Parrotlet, named Emmy, I have
4 dogs
7 sugar gliders
1 turtle
and, I'm hoping for a Senegal in the near future if I cand find the right breeder in my area with a good price.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You can google for tubes and animations and I get them from my Paint Shop pro forum too. I have lots of birds and other things. I make my sigs.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Why do people think it's such a big, bad thing to get a bird as a baby? Oscar is the first baby I hand-fed starting at 3 weeks, and it wasn't hard at all.

I know a lot of people that sell the bird before it's weaned, so they can grow their bond easily.

Is it risky or something??
Nick - here is a site with some dangers with inexperienced people hand feeding.

http://www.parrottalk.com/hand-feeding-dangers.htm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and learned how to prevent those problems. Oscar never showed any signs of any sickness, etc.

Also, I helped the breeder sell some parrotlets one time, at 5 weeks old, and a lady bought two, and never had a problem, even though she was inexperienced.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nick, didn't you tell us that Oscars sister died of dehydration??
THIS is why it's not a good idea to get unweaned babies.. needless death.. what a shame....

when oscar was about 2-3 months old, I got another baby parrotlet, which was a month old. I put it with oscar, and sometimes oscar would be nice, and sometimes mean. Then a few days later, I saw oscar up on the food bowl, with the baby right next to him! And oscar was feeding it!!
So I thought it was mothering it.....
but then oscar was mean again.....
so I seperated them....
a few days later, the baby died .

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just don't see your point here nick - inexperienced people should not take on a life altering task such as hand feeding a baby bird unless its absolutely necessary and there is no other option and the bird would die otherwise - but this is not what we're discussing here.

Responsible breeders who care for their birds wellbeing should not ever put a birds life at risk by giving it to a person who does not have extensive knowledge of how to properly feed that bird.

Yes, it can go okay but its not worth the risk - its a coin toss - and on the other side of the coin there is a life at stake.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's true. But my mom is also a breeder. And she taught me how to feed him. Oscar was the first bird I ever hand fed, but not my mom's.

So the owner wasn't irresponsible, because my mom is an experienced breeder.

About the baby that died, it wasn't my fault or anybody's. It was obviously due to the fact that it was because it was the parents first clutch, since all 4 babies died, within a short period of time. And some of them were still in the breeder's care.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts