TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. I've had my little Peeka (parrotlet) for a couple months now. His hatch date was Aug. 24/20.
I'd like to know how many words these guys can learn to say? Mine is watching me constantly - and I've found I need to be careful what I say! So far he says: Peeka, Peeka-Boo, I love you, poo poo E doo, Step up, Gentle Beak, Hello Sunshine, Goodnight georgeous, No biting, Oh Murphy, kisses. There's a couple more, but I can't remember them right now.
Will he ever hit a max out on words???:confused:
My kids are very interested in your replies - thanks so much in advance!:D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds like Peeka is a little chatterbox! That is great! I guess it just depends on the bird. From a previous thread I found, there were some members that had parrotlets that could speak up to 20 words. But, I think I read once somewhere that parrotlets can speak up to 30 words, but of course, there is possibility that some out there that can speak even more than that.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hello, Jenna!

In the past, I have had budgies talk to me. Dusty, one of my favorite budgies had a vocabulary of 24 words and phrases. He said things, like, " Bang bang, you're dead " ( then he would fall over). " Brush your teeth! " and " What'cha doing there, stupid? ". He was a card and a very rare talker.

But my first parrotlet, Bogie, had a working vocabulary of 65 words, sentences and phrases. He didn't show signs of being a talker until he was 6 months old. Then, he wouldn't shut up. Bogie's vet said, " I wonder why Bogie decided to talk? " I said, " He didn't have anything to tell us before now! "

If you have a talker now, then it is vital that you be careful what you say around Peeka. ( That is, if you want to have Peeka say your favorite words). If your goal is to have Peeka learn to talk with sense, then you have to determine beforehand, what you want him to say.

Bogie sang songs and it was funny to hear him sing! He actually sang and when he sang, he sounded like a drunken sailor! His voice was gruff sounding, like Popeye the Sailor's voice. Bogie also spelled his name. He was a talker. When he wanted out of his cage, He would say, " Let me out! " In the book I wrote about Bogie, I listed his entire vocabulary that he built up over the ten years I had him before he passed. I lost him (09-24-2018) due to illness.

In the book, I explained how I got him to say what I wanted him to say. I found that there was a special time of day that Bogie was susceptible to pick up new words. This is in the book, also.

Don't lose the moment! Bogie learned new sentences and phrases easily until he got almost 7 years old, then it was hard for me to get him to talk new things. He could do it, but he just didn't want to learn anymore. It took me a year to teach him his last sentence. Earlier in his life, it would only take me about 3 weeks to teach him a new sentence.

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
The only limit is the bird! Tumi has about 6 phrases in his regular rotation, but he learned them better when other humans said them. He also mimics sounds some, including birds when he boards at the vet. Like with little kids, it only takes one time with a swear word for them to pick it up, since it is generally said very excitedly.

The cutest thing Tumi says is, "I'm a Big Bird!" Since it fully encompasses the parrotlet attitude, it is hysterical every time. He uses his wings to emphasize BIG, like he knows what he is saying! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like Peeka is a talker!
I love listening to Percy talk. Early morning is when she does most of her talking. Her latest phrases is "Thank you". :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate your comments and info. I will definately watch our language around Peeka!! :D

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The morning chatter must be what most pet / companion birds do. A budgie I had who had NO IDEA he WAS a bird would talk all day - but a lot was in the morning.

Squirtle, my parrotlet is really picking up a LOT now - and first thing in the morning he's a real chatty cathy!

So far, he says: Whatcha doin, what's happening, baby bird, pretty boy, stop it, dont bite me, and wolf whistles, dog whistle and also whistles the 1812 overture (the first 6 notes!)

I learned about swearing the hard way with my budgie - they ONLY have to hear it once LOL

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Ive had my boy for a month now, he still does the sweetest soft chirps. I am hearing different sounds in those chirps but not enough to decipher words. He does mimic sounds I make.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I've had my little Peeka (parrotlet) for a couple months now. His hatch date was Aug. 24/20.
I'd like to know how many words these guys can learn to say? Mine is watching me constantly - and I've found I need to be careful what I say! So far he says: Peeka, Peeka-Boo, I love you, poo poo E doo, Step up, Gentle Beak, Hello Sunshine, Goodnight georgeous, No biting, Oh Murphy, kisses. There's a couple more, but I can't remember them right now.
Will he ever hit a max out on words???:confused:
My kids are very interested in your replies - thanks so much in advance!:D
Just FYI, It's possible to train some birds to say longer phrases. At four months old, my parrotlet Blue loves to sing the entire song of "Row Row Row Your Boat." Just sing it to him clearly and succinctly over and over, especially when it seems he is paying attention to you and listening carefully. As it seems you have discovered, they might actually be memorizing everything you say. When I first got him, I would calm him down by saying things like "such a pretty, pretty bird." He says that all the time now as well. I can also get him to come to me by saying in an urgent voice, "Come here Blue, Come on!" Not only does he often respond to that command and fly over, he also says it routinely. His other favorites are "What's up doc?" and "Heeere Kitty, Kitty, Kitty."

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Rio has been around since October, Jules has been with us since 2013. It is interesting in that Rio loves to chitter and chirp. Jules was never much of a casual chirper but more of a let me out now or where are you chirper. Since Rio arrival Jules is learning a new vocabulary. Different chirps I have never heard her do before. Rio on the other hand seems to be a bit of a mimic. I have noticed him trying to say or imitate sounds. He seems to have picked up my laugh. Also he can whine like a baby. I had to take Jules to the vet the other day and my wife put him on the phone because his crying was heartbreaking.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When Bogie was alive, he started an active effort to talk when he was 6 months old. I took advantage of this. He could sing the " Bingo Song " that children sang when I was a child. It spells out the word, " Bingo " . Bingo was the name of a farmer's dog.We made it the " Bogie Song ". Instead of the farmer's dog, it was the farmer's bird. And Bingo was changed to " Bogie ". According to Bogie's life journal, it took him 7 weeks to learn that converted song. When he sang it, he sounded like a drunken sailor ( sounded like Popeye the sailor's voice! ) We do not know why he lowered his voice to sing it like a sailor.
These p'letts are far more intelligent than we humans think they are.....They are simply amazing!

Dave🦜🦜🦜🦜

1 - 13 of 13 Posts