Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've been researching, males talk better than females so this question is just for the owners of females.

Does your gal speak?
How many words and what are they?
Does you gal sing?
What does she sing?
Approximately when did she start?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Girls don't speak much at all. I have not heard any stories about girls speaking, just boys. Chipper is a girl. She makes precious noises, but no words.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have heard several reasons that boy parrots talk more. I have heard that the girl is on the nest and the boy makes sounds and mimics to draw any predator away. Sounds plausible. I am sure there is a reason.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I haven't heard any one post about their Female talking yet. But I can comment that the females are much quieter than the males :D
I have to listen very carefully to hear my female over the male.

There are lots of theory's I've read about why male birds of most species are better mimics and more brightly colored than the hen's. One is as Sally stated as a predator deterrent away from the nesting site. Another is to blend in with their surroundings - The hen is quieter and more plainly colored for this purpose while she sits on the nest - and the male will mimic other birds and animals so as not to draw attention to the nest site or in some cases to draw attention away from the nesting site.

Also the male to gain the attention of a female is more flashy and vocal.

And I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons and Theories :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts