Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little female cardinal made a nest in a old airplane frame I hung on the porch. The wind blew it downward and she made a nest between the wings. She is totally unafraid of me, I sit on my swing about 4 feet from her and she does not fly away. I guess she is a baby girl that was raised in my yard and is not scared of me. She has three children... Orville, Wilber and Emilia. Here's the first photo .....

Here is her husband...

Last one... a better view of her

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
WOW - Memmey, That is so amazing. What a beautiful bird - the female looks like a finch sitting on her nest :eek: :)

The visual of the nest in the old plane is fantastic :D

Well they couldn't have picked a better place to build their nest than on your porch. I hope you keep posting pictures as the chicks grow.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

Very cool! What does Bitsey Jo think of your new friend?

FYI, I think the plane is a model of a Curtis JN-4 'Jenny' which is a WWI trainer.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For real?...My x-brother in law gave it to me , it was his Dad's. It was covered with paper at one time( a long time ago). Did it ever fly I wonder or was it just for looks? There is no motor on it so maybe it was just a model..interesting.

How did you know that?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

I used to be very into airplanes, now I'm into machines in general. Google 'JN-4 Jenny' if you want more info about the real thing.

It doesn't look like it ever flew, though you could rig it up to do so. Boys liked to build these from kits then hang them from the ceiling of their rooms - ask me how I know...:rolleyes: .

Regards,

Art S.

PS. After she's done for this year, reset the plane for level flight; maybe the cardinal will lay her eggs in the cockpit next year :D .

PPS. If you ever get to watch "Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" there is a similar plane used.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I LOVE cardinals. I feed the birds and take lots of pictures.

Your photos are WONDERFUL!!!!! The world needs more Cardinals!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Saturday morning everyone....I was having coffee on the porch this morning . I guess because she is not afraid of me, she took a short cut flying through the porch right past me so close it sorta freaked me out. It wasn't agressive just fearless. You know if you get up real early and sit and listen to the birds it is the most wonderful sound...they are very very active in the morning. When I was young the only way I would have listened to the birds would be it they could fly 65 miles an hour beside my car, I was busy and going places.Now it is one of my greatest pleasures, the quiet in the morning with the wild life outside.....is this prelude to my final dirt nap? LOL

·
Registered
373 Posts
I never get to see those birds around here. I don't even know what species of birds exist in my part of the world aside from seagulls and those big black scary crows...

My boyfriend has to rinse his car like every other day because they just love to leave nice big poops on his car. One time they got into the garbage can (a raccoon or something most likely tipped it over to begin with) and made a huge mess all over the ground. Well, I was the only one home and had to go out and clean it. I did it with my bare hands and my hand SANK into a nice big wet pile of bird poop (those darn crows!). I swear I washed my hands a dozen times and even cut my nails after. Blech!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My son and I were trying to get a WHIPPOORWILL out of our garage today! SO pretty! HUGE eyes, soft downy feathers. She finally flew out. We wanted a picture! Oh, well, at least she was fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts