Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Super Moderator
I was reading about the love bites! I鈥檓 looking forward to them. 馃槄 Haha! I think she鈥檒l be with me for a few years. 馃挅
I feel like if she got through this, she is on a great path to recovery and a long, lovely life with you. I was looking at that adorable photo again. She looks so much better but her road is definitely long. These photos will be so great to compare to when she鈥檚 substantially recovered. Bless her heart. Good quality sleep will continue to be important for her. A good 12 hours or more. Her little body is expending a lot of energy with all of this. Make sure she stays nice and warm too. They struggle with body heat when they鈥檙e not 100%. I am sure she鈥檚 loving the warm lamp and you can also put a heating pad on low under her cage. It鈥檚 kind of like radiant heating in a floor. It can help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I feel like if she got through this, she is on a great path to recovery and a long, lovely life with you. I was looking at that adorable photo again. She looks so much better but her road is definitely long. These photos will be so great to compare to when she鈥檚 substantially recovered. Bless her heart. Good quality sleep will continue to be important for her. A good 12 hours or more. Her little body is expending a lot of energy with all of this. Make sure she stays nice and warm too. They struggle with body heat when they鈥檙e not 100%. I am sure she鈥檚 loving the warm lamp and you can also put a heating pad on low under her cage. It鈥檚 kind of like radiant heating in a floor. It can help.
Just a regular heat pad on low? I warm her up before bedtime and cover her to keep the heat in. My husband is paranoid if heat lamps left on so they don鈥檛 cause a fire. But I could see a nice low see to g for a heat pad. What about heated perches etc? Does anyone use those?

Registered
I've put "dead" songbirds in boxes in my warm utility closet for a couple hours, or overnight, after they "died" hitting our window. (I've since put up bird strike mitigation cords). Often they are fully recovered after this couple hours of quiet recovery. It never ceases to amaze me.

Registered
What about heated perches etc? Does anyone use those?
I really like the K&H Snuggle-Up bird warmer. My previous bird Cleopatra loved it. It lets off just enough heat to keep your bird nice and warm. (They have to lean into it to feel the heat). I looked into heater perches and decided not to get one. I read enough incidents of them overheating and burning bird's feet that it made me uncomfortable to try one. Plus, some are so slippery that people's birds are falling off them. I think the wall panel heater is safer. I have used mine four years and will be putting it in Pugsley's cage when it gets colder.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts