Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a little Parrotlet from a girl who rescued her from a bad situation. She was apparently used for heavy breeding and had to lay clutch after clutch. I don’t know if there is any truth to this story but I came across her for free as the girl who “rescued” her had other birds that were apparently stressing this little one out. This little bird has had laboured breathing and swollen nares for the whole time she had her, a few months. I drove two hours to get her and brought her to the vet the next day for what we thought was possible sinus infection/respiratory. The vet is NOT and avian vet but was willing to learn and try and help. He put her on Doxycycline 20mg/ml once a day. After taking that Med for a week, it hasn’t change her situation. I called him again and suggested we try Enroflaxacin and he agreed and gave her 7.5mg/ml twice a day. She’s been on that for 5 full days now with no change in her condition!!! So here’s the thing. She looks bad but has a huge appetite and eats a TON of chop a day some seeds, pellets are offered but she’s not a fan and millet for treats. She has prime in her water and I mix Thrive in her chop. I have a probiotic for when these antibiotics are finished but her poops still look good! The last three days I’ve been rinsing out her nares with sterile saline and I do get flow from each nostril. I can’t figure this poor girl out!!! Does anyone have any suggestions of what this could possibly be? She doesn’t cough and she has minor nasal drip. No puss is coming from her swollen nares. In the picture I just misted her, that’s why she’s wet. I’m trying to get her to like a light misting for an added source of moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The next step is the avian vet 2 and a half hours away. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Could it be a hereditary condition or perhaps some sort of trauma to her nose? She is a quiet little thing but other than her nares and breathing she is fine! Eats, poops, plays a bit, tweets a bit and is food motivated.
Bird Beak Pet supply Feather Mesh

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no experience with this (yet) as I am relatively new at this parrotlet ownership thing.

There are many threads on here that recommend an avian vet visit. It sounds like antibiotics are commonly trialed as well as rinses but maybe the problem is mites or fungus?

I have one link for you. Good luck.

Parrot Nostril Problems Explained! — All About Parrots

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for taking in this sweet girl. Goodness only knows what she has been through but it is truly heartwarming to know she is safe with you. What a tremendous effort you have put into her already. I don’t have any clue what this could be but I am encouraged to hear she is eating and drinking well and her poops are normal. I know your avian vet is far away - mine is 2 hours away as well - but she honestly needs the benefit of an expert. Parrotlets are experts at hiding illness until it is very late so despite her obvious symptoms, she could still be hiding how she’s feeling. Some other subtle signs are if she’s sleeping with both feet on her perch (they sleep with one foot tucked up) or if she’s hanging out on the bottom of her cage. I know you just misted her in that photo, but she doesn’t look particularly well to me, which I guess is obvious given her nares are swollen and runny. Poor girl. I would work on keeping her warm - so putting a heating pad on low under her cage and perhaps putting a cover over the top to maintain heat. Make sure she’s getting a good 12 hours of good quality sleep too - in a quiet room if that’s possible and preferably covered so it’s nice and dark. She probably had a rough start so her constitution is likely quite weak. Good food, sleep and warmth will definitely at least help her cause.

I’m not sure I would continue with the moisture efforts. If it is some sort of yeast infection, it could make it worse. As long as she’s drinking, she should be hydrated.

Do keep us posted. I will keep her sweet soul in my prayers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for taking in this sweet girl. Goodness only knows what she has been through but it is truly heartwarming to know she is safe with you. What a tremendous effort you have put into her already. I don’t have any clue what this could be but I am encouraged to hear she is eating and drinking well and her poops are normal. I know your avian vet is far away - mine is 2 hours away as well - but she honestly needs the benefit of an expert. Parrotlets are experts at hiding illness until it is very late so despite her obvious symptoms, she could still be hiding how she’s feeling. Some other subtle signs are if she’s sleeping with both feet on her perch (they sleep with one foot tucked up) or if she’s hanging out on the bottom of her cage. I know you just misted her in that photo, but she doesn’t look particularly well to me, which I guess is obvious given her nares are swollen and runny. Poor girl. I would work on keeping her warm - so putting a heating pad on low under her cage and perhaps putting a cover over the top to maintain heat. Make sure she’s getting a good 12 hours of good quality sleep too - in a quiet room if that’s possible and preferably covered so it’s nice and dark. She probably had a rough start so her constitution is likely quite weak. Good food, sleep and warmth will definitely at least help her cause.

I’m not sure I would continue with the moisture efforts. If it is some sort of yeast infection, it could make it worse. As long as she’s drinking, she should be hydrated.

Thank you so much! She didn’t like the misting at all so I will stop that. She doesn’t need more stress. Her cage is mostly covered but she loves watching me and I sit with her a lot. Thanks for the info.Ill finish these antibiotics and take her to Calgary. Thanks for the prayers! ❤

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
That’s so wonderful that you sit with her a lot. That will help you to create a bond with her. How long have you had her? Poor wee thing. If she’s got a good quality pellet and is eating them, I would also discontinue the prime in her water - her pellets will provide all the vitamins and minerals she needs. I’m not sure what “thrive” is but you can discuss her nutrition with the avian vet. Chop and pellets are excellent - Just be careful to make any changes as gradually as possible although I am certain she couldn’t maintain her usual diet from the sounds of it. I am sure you are feeling alarmed at her state of care but rushing it too much will create other problems. Tackle this nares thing first - her nutrition will come but that has to go more slowly.

Do you have experience with birds? You seem to know a lot in terms of medications and treatments. I have never heard of anyone rinsing out their bird’s nares - how did that go? My bird Kiwi would eat me for breakfast if I ever tried that! I am a little concerned that she’s quiet - although she is in a new environment so it is not unusual. I guess just in the context of illness it makes me a bit uncomfortable. Some of them just have quiet personalities too. I am sure she’s very confused and stressed but I am confident you will manage this in time. I always suggest people without experience try to remember that parrotlets are wild birds despite being born in a human environment and as wild birds, they see humans predators. It helps you to gauge how to approach them understanding they think you could eat them. I think you’re doing great - sitting close by, allowing her to see you from the safety of her cage. Do you speak softly to her too? Some calming music may also help.

I will be watching for your updates and will post again if I think of anything else to help pending her avian vet appointment.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I recommend an avian vet. I think she needs a gram stain so they can target the medicine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
So the vet thinks that because antibiotic therapy was not given, the rhinitis didn’t heal. The inside of the nose is eroded by inflammation. Her nostrils became very large after the long-lasting infection. He told me that parts of the nose that
are harmed during an acute infection
never regenerate and permanent damage is done. It could have been prevented by treating with the appropriate medication as soon as possible. Flushing her nose has helped a lot. It’s very easy actually for those who were asking. Make sure the birds head is tipped down and gently infuse one nostril and it should come out the other side. Like a Netty pot. Some comes out the mouth too. The saline has to be sterile and I use sterile syringes and a small sterile blunt needle. I don’t stick the needle in her nose, I just let it kinda drip in with slight pressure. She’s definitely better now that we are almost two weeks in and antibiotics are almost done and nose is clear. I think she’s going to do just great! I will just love her and care for her as long as she’s here. 💖 And I do have other birds and experience with other birds. This case just baffled me but I’m glad I’m getting answers. Thank you all!

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Very tragic and very happy news all in one post. It is a good example of why it is so important to get our birds to avian vets when we see anything unusual. Poor little sweetie. She’s so lucky to have found you. While she may have to deal with this permanent damage, she will find her healthiest self with you and live her best life.

We sure look forward to hearing more about her as she recovers and is able to let her true personality shine. You’re a very kind person for all you have done. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
This is such good news! What a sense of relief you must be feeling that she is better! She has been through a lot, but how lucky she was to be in such capable hands as yours. You have done really well looking after her! It warms my heart knowing she is with someone that loves her and will take good care of her - and she will be given a happy life. I am happy for both of you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I honestly can’t wait to see her true personality come out! She’s so cute after I give her her meds and let her step back up on her perch she turns and looks at me like “why the heck you always do that to me??” She takes millet from my fingers and we visit with the cage door open so hopefully soon enough she will come out and have tea with me. ☺ She’s very tolerant and trusting of me even though I feel like I’m making her mad a couple times a day!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I honestly can’t wait to see her true personality come out! She’s so cute after I give her her meds and let her step back up on her perch she turns and looks at me like “why the heck you always do that to me??” She takes millet from my fingers and we visit with the cage door open so hopefully soon enough she will come out and have tea with me. ☺ She’s very tolerant and trusting of me even though I feel like I’m making her mad a couple times a day!
My parrotlet enjoys a relationship where he sneaks up on my wife and bites her if she is on her phone. She flips her collar, Harry gets flipped off and goes back to her as fast as his wings can take him. He thinks the drama reward is worth it! I think, like a lot of people, that parrotlets will take the negative in stride so long as the positive interactions outweigh the negative. Love on them.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I bet she realizes how much better she is feeling since coming into your care. She may not understand the process, but I think she is linking your presence with feeling better than she probably ever has in her life. She is undoubtedly still confused with all the changes she has experienced, but I think a wonderful friendship of love and trust is developing and I can’t wait to hear more of your story.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Watching her true personality come out is going to be so fun to see, and so rewarding. You may have some surprises in store for you! I certainly hope so! :) From what you have told us, she may have never been given that opportunity before. Being happy, feeling secure, getting proper nutrition, and having a normal life should do her wonders. I agree with Jackie, our birds are so intelligent and sensitive that they sense things. Your little girl is starting to realize that you are kind, and you will never hurt her. That is what they all really want to know. I hope you keep us updated on how she is doing. By the way, what is her name?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bet she realizes how much better she is feeling since coming into your care. She may not understand the process, but I think she is linking your presence with feeling better than she probably ever has in her life. She is undoubtedly still confused with all the changes she has experienced, but I think a wonderful friendship of love and trust is developing and I can’t wait to hear more of your story.
I love this. Thank you. 💖

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bird Pet supply Beak Parrot Bird supply

So I have an update with Ezmeralda! Just over a week ago she was on her 7th day of antibiotics. It didn’t look like they were clearing her up like I had hoped and the vet said permanent damage was done to the poor baby. I wanted to finish the antibiotics anyway just to make sure any infection she had would not come back. Last week, Friday night I was woken to squeaking. I came downstairs to see why she was peeping and she was laying on her side at the bottom of the cage, dying. I picked her up gently with a towel and was crying over her and telling her to just go and that she was loved and it would all be ok. I sat with her for about a half hour at 2 in the morning with no change but I thought I was making it worse by holding her, and at one point she even gave me a little bite. So I said my goodbyes, made her comfy propped up in a cozy cloth, covered the cage and tried to go back to sleep knowing she would be gone by the morning. I woke up and didn’t hear any squeaks so I found a little box in my closet to put her in. I came downstairs and said to my husband “well, I suppose we’ll need to find a place to bury her today” and he said “No, she fine! She’s sitting on her perch!” I’m like what the heck….I lifted her cover and sure enough! Sitting there looking at me! How the hell sid she escape death?! Well let me tel you that she has been up the up mend since then! She’s eating a ton! Her nares and cere are a thousand times better and finally today, I can say her breathing is almost as normal as can be! She even had a little splash bath in her water dish a few days ago! She’s on probiotics with her fresh food and I even got her a cozy low watt heat lamp for over her favourite perch. AND she’s sleeping on one foot! She chews her toys and is getting better and better everyday. She still naps a whole bunch but this girl was on her death bed and I still feel like we will take her healing slow and steady. I talk to her all the time and she peeps when I’m peeping her food. I don’t know what happened, or how she did not go into the light but this little girl is the BIGGEST fighter I’ve ever seen. I think she’ll be ok. 💙 Here’s an updated picture. I was trying to catch a good one because she looked so cozy napping.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Oh my gosh, I am so happy to hear this wonderful news! Ezmeralda looks sooo much better! It doesn't even look like the same bird. I love the pic of her sleeping - she is beautiful. 💙Just keep a close eye on her and be sure to keep her warm. She is probably still regaining her strength. But what a rebound! It is incredible! She is a fighter indeed! :) You truly have something to be thankful for. Thanks for the update. This has put a big smile on my face! 😄

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Well now I am all weepy! What an incredible story! At first I felt hopeful, then I honestly thought we had lost her, and then the fantastic news of her spectacular recovery! What an incredible little girl! I can just imagine the emotional roller coaster as you tried to comfort her. I think it was all that love and warmth you showered on her that brought her back from the brink. What a wonderful person you are! 🙏 I can’t tell you how much this warms my heart. She is recovering from years of neglect and suffering and she is now safe and loved. It’s beautiful.

She does look amazing and I was delighted to hear she’s sleeping on one foot and that she had a little bath! What progress! She must be feeling so much better but you’re right to continue taking it slow. It will take time for her little body to recover and adjust to a healthy lifestyle. But she’s on a great track thanks to your kindness. Ezmerelda is a fabulous name and suits her so much! It sounds exotic and regal like our little princess!

Thank you so much for the update. It has made my day. I look forward to hearing more about her journey with you. And honestly, thank you for being such a kind, caring person.

edit: I meant to also say that parrotlets do give “love bites”, gentle(ish) bites to demonstrate their affection. Even if she was signalling she was ready to be left alone, I would guess there was a lot of affection there. Maybe it even gave her the strength to fight to stay with you. Sweet little thing. 💕

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now I am all weepy! What an incredible story! At first I felt hopeful, then I honestly thought we had lost her, and then the fantastic news of her spectacular recovery! What an incredible little girl! I can just imagine the emotional roller coaster as you tried to comfort her. I think it was all that love and warmth you showered on her that brought her back from the brink. What a wonderful person you are! 🙏 I can’t tell you how much this warms my heart. She is recovering from years of neglect and suffering and she is now safe and loved. It’s beautiful.

She does look amazing and I was delighted to hear she’s sleeping on one foot and that she had a little bath! What progress! She must be feeling so much better but you’re right to continue taking it slow. It will take time for her little body to recover and adjust to a healthy lifestyle. But she’s on a great track thanks to your kindness. Ezmerelda is a fabulous name and suits her so much! It sounds exotic and regal like our little princess!

Thank you so much for the update. It has made my day. I look forward to hearing more about her journey with you. And honestly, thank you for being such a kind, caring person.

edit: I meant to also say that parrotlets do give “love bites”, gentle(ish) bites to demonstrate their affection. Even if she was signalling she was ready to be left alone, I would guess there was a lot of affection there. Maybe it even gave her the strength to fight to stay with you. Sweet little thing. 💕
I was reading about the love bites! I’m looking forward to them. 😅 Haha! I think she’ll be with me for a few years. 💖

1 - 20 of 24 Posts