Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wheezy, I am so saddened to hear that Sweetpea passed. I am so so sorry. I am sending your {{hugs}}. I know this is not easy. You loved Sweetpea so much, please do not blame yourself for anything. You have always tried to take the best care of her - we all try to do our best, but like Dana said, we are only human. None of us have this down perfect. RIP Sweetpea. Fly high, little one! 💚

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Oh Wheezy. I am so so sorry. My heart is with you. Listen to me. I made a terrible mistake with my beautiful canary that cost him his life. I forgot to put water in his cage in the morning when I left for work and I ended up having to work until midnight. When I got home, I covered his cage and never noticed the missing dish (that was sitting on the counter right beside his cage). When I uncovered him in the morning, he was kind of limp and I realized he had been without water for over 24 hours, which is a death toll for these little birds. Despite my best efforts, he died two days later. I blame myself, yes, but I try to be kind to myself too. The pain you feel is because you care deeply about life, all life, and that is a precious thing. It’s not nearly as common as one would hope and it’s people like you who give me hope. Things are going to happen. Terrible things. But not for a lack of trying and not from a lack of love. Sweetpea had a beautiful life with you. There was love and love never dies. It can’t. Why whatever happened had to happen is not something we get to understand. And yes, it torments us. But maybe one day you will be able to share your story with someone else who loved deeply and lost a precious life despite all the love and care, and that incredible bond you had with Sweetpea will soothe another kind and suffering soul. Sweetpea is not far, my friend. You and she are in my heart and I will pray for you both. I know how much this hurts but know that I think you are a beautiful kind soul and can guarantee that little bird knows it as well.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Our little ones lives are bright and brief. If you need to talk and mourn then come here, since understand as few others will. If you wish to write about your times together we have a Rainbow Bridge section to memorialize SweetPea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I believe kidney failure was the culprit, it was such a sad scene, like she waited to die in my hands. She was fine yesterday. The vet said all her functions were fine but now I doubt her. That was the 3rd one I lost. First was the horrible cage door open incident, second was liver disease, this one I believe was a "runt" sort of speak. I'm a "3 strikes I'm out" kind of person and I don't want to feel like parrotlets come here to die like the plants do. So, as much as I love them, I will let others do it and I will gracefully bow out. I love this forum and jealous of all y'all in some way. I will be fine, life will go on, she's with her sisters now. Thanks for everything and the kind words.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Well that is a terrible run. No question. I understand completely but it makes me very sad that these little birds will lose out on someone as wonderful and caring as you. In its own way, i find it very beautiful that she waited to die in the hands of someone she felt so safe with. As sad as it is, it is such a gift to have won the trust on that wild little creature. You didn’t fail her. Quite the contrary. If her life was to be short, she was blessed to have it with someone with whom she could lay down her body in safety, security and love. Maybe one day you will change your mind and welcome another little one into your life. Maybe. Never say never - just let it work itself out. It will anyway. For now, Sweetpea will be remembered always by all of us on the forum and so will you. We love having you with us.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I am going to miss you, Wheezy. We all are. If you ever change your mind, we are here for you. Take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal. Time does heal the pain, and you may have a change of heart. I did. When I first lost Cleopatra, I told myself that I could never have another bird in my life. It was the pain speaking. You may see things differently later on. I hope so.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm a sucker. I'll be around just on a different forum. Sigh. I went to go buy a parakeet friend for my daughter's parakeet Phoenix. Well, we get to the place and there are cockatiels. A couple of puppy eyes and pleases later (plus a "It's my birthday") here I am with this: meet Tiki 🤦🏻 Bird Cockatoo Parrot Beak Feather

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Oh Wheezy!! I am so happy for you and for your new gorgeous bird!! Thank you so much for sharing - I have been quite heartsick for you. This is really great news. I hope you will pop in from time to time to let us know how he’s doing. Our feathered friends do find a way into our hearts! Congratulations to you both!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, y'all are a much more chatty bunch than talkcockatiels lol. The lady I purchased s/he from said it's a male approx10 weeks old. I posted on the forum one person replied looks female 8 months. I was lied to about Sweetpea's age and I'm already not the most trusting person anyway. I've never owned a tiel, it really hasn't said anything for 3 days now except when it tries to fly it squawkes as it lands... I swear I still hear Sweetpea and I wait for her to start yelling at me when I'm getting ready to go to work or she wants to go to bed, but alas that's all in my head. So if anyone here knows a thing or two about a tiel lol. I was going to name or Fawkes bc the parakeet is Phoenix, but we were driving by Tiki Taco and I said "Tiki the tiel" and the kid liked it so that was that. It's nongender specific...

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
It is a beautiful cockatiel. What I remember about cockatiel gendering is that you have to wait until after the first molt. I think the ear patch on boy will become darker than on girls. But that is a mutation, although primarily grey, not a normal grey so it might be more like pied in parrotlets and difficult to guess. I had a female lutino - they have bars on the underside of their feathers after the first molt. I remember checking her out in a black light to see things better.
I would ignore the forum person who said 8 months. For birds in general, once there are feathers you CANNOT tell their age by looking. We can guess at the age of a bird that is still growing feathers, and once there are feathers you can tell pre/post first molt, but I have no idea how the person can state anything other than "fully feathered but before the first molt." After the first molt, all even an avian vet could tell is that it is an adult bird. You have a baby bird - they are so much fun!
Cockatiels are birds often overlooked as "starter birds," but they are great creatures! You will get warnings BEFORE bites, which is a lovely difference from parrotlets, and their beak is nowhere near as strong even though it is the same size. Their flock call is much louder, though, so when Tiki finds his/her voice, watch out! And keep coming back to us to share about her - we have a whole section of the forum for non-parrotlet things. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, the person said you tell by the feet, and the bite is a joke compared to a parrotlet. This one was cinnamon according to the lady and it was definitely red compared to greys. Not sure, it's quiet and does nothing yet. Just being patient. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wheezy, definitely keep in touch to let us know how you and Tiki are doing! I always thought cockatiels were so cute, I love the crest on top of their heads, how it goes up and down. It is good that Dana can help answer any questions you have. I know nothing about them, so keep in touch and I will learn something! Have you checked out the site, Avian Avenue ? It has a section called Species Speedway which is for specific species. There is a "Cockatiel Corner" which seems to be pretty active, and might be a good source for information. If you haven't already, check it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Hi Wheezy! Always happy to hear from you! I don’t know much about tiels other than they are more gentle than our little Parrotlet friends … hard to imagine who wouldn’t be, LOL! But I do know that it is super early days so yes, patience is key. As for Sweetpea, I just believe she is there. I really do. My 16.5 year old dog passed last December and we still see her and hear her. These beautiful bonds can not be broken by us laying down our physical bodies. I truly believe that. She’s close, sweet little thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
She died in my hands. She was only 3. I blame myself. I'm not ever getting another, so this is goodbye. I wish everyone blessings.
Hi Wheezy, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet birdie passing. Unfortunately I know this one too. I came home from work late afternoon to find my husband was so into his football game he forgot to take Boris, my green cheek that I had for just about 10 years out of the closet. We put him in the closet so he wouldn't get a draft at night and the closet was the only place in that apartment that did not get any drafts... I stood in there myself with ac running to make sure.
When I opened that closet door I couldn't find Boris, I started to panic. Then I saw him at the bottom of the aquarium (it was all set up for him - so he wouldn't get drafts while out in the house). I knew when I saw him he was dying. He was in a huge puffed out mode- looked like a perfect fluff ball and I knew he was bad. I knew at this point any energy he had left was to try to keep himself warm- the puff ball method. I immediately put my hand into the bottom where he was and he fell into the palm of my hand. I warmed up a heating pad with a towel to keep him warm. I was able to feed him water with a dropper then took him immediately to the vets. They said there was nothing they could do, take him back home. I did and not even 10 minutes after I got home he convulsed and died in my hands. I took me awhile to stop feeling guilty that I couldn't get home sooner.
I realize now it was not something to feel guilty about, I do miss that little chatty buddy. I believe every animal teaches us something new, they are here to serve a purpose then leave us. They are teachers to teach us patience, care, respect and empathy to help others in their life journeys. Please do not feel guilty but I know it is part of the process.
Heart felt condolences to you for your broken heart.
Lisa and Chumley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts