Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my now one year old and the birds. I knew it would be a challenge...he loves the birds but he's to young to understand they don't want him hitting the cage. I'm trying to figure out where to put it or move it. My friend suggested suspending it from the ceiling, this would be awesome because it would be off the ground and keep him from playing with it. I would have a handy man be sure to anchor the lines in the studs. I guess I could use some chain to hang it? I don't know what do you guys think? What if the chain freaks them out? That would be awful if they didn't want to land on their cages or didn't like it above them. I don't know... 馃槦

Registered
I'm having a problem with my now one year old and the birds. I knew it would be a challenge...he loves the birds but he's to young to understand they don't want him hitting the cage. I'm trying to figure out where to put it or move it. My friend suggested suspending it from the ceiling, this would be awesome because it would be off the ground and keep him from playing with it. I would have a handy man be sure to anchor the lines in the studs. I guess I could use some chain to hang it? I don't know what do you guys think? What if the chain freaks them out? That would be awful if they didn't want to land on their cages or didn't like it above them. I don't know... 馃槦
Can you put a gate around the cages so he cant touch them?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you put a gate around the cages so he cant touch them?
I was thinking about that, I tried moving them into the hallway by the front door (by a window) and then I was going to put a gate there so I could roll them in out of the living room? But it's inconvenient because then they are in front of the door. Should I try to make the gate like a half circle (or a half rectangle) or in don't know if it would have to go all the way around like behind the cage too to be stable enough....

Registered
I was thinking about that, I tried moving them into the hallway by the front door (by a window) and then I was going to put a gate there so I could roll them in out of the living room? But it's inconvenient because then they are in front of the door. Should I try to make the gate like a half circle (or a half rectangle) or in don't know if it would have to go all the way around like behind the cage too to be stable enough....
I was thinking about just making a barrier so you baby cant reach the birds, not necessarily moving the cages. They make those gates to go around christmas trees, that is what I was thinking of

Registered
I haven't seen them hanging from the ceiling (except in cartoons, so probably not the best example to follow), but I've seen people attach cages to the walls like shelving, and that seems to work well.

Super Moderator
I would go with either the gates or some sort of taller furniture (anchored, obviously). I have one of Tumi's cage on top of a wine rack things from World Market, and it is like counter-height off the ground. The biggest issue I would have with hanging a cage is that it isn't meant to take weight that way, and over time could fall apart. It isn't hard to successfully anchor the lines to the ceiling, but I really worry about the failure of the cage. Especially cages for our size creatures are often weak, since the bar spacing prevents a thicker gage wire from being used.

Registered
It is possible to hang cages from the ceiling, as long as you anchor into the rafters ( you call them studs.) Rafters run across your ceilings every 16 inches apart. You can use a stud finder--just run the stud finder across/against the ceiling until the magnetized pointer moves to its middle . Once you find the stud/rafter and your pointer moves, you will have about three fourths of an inch on each side of the pointer to put in an anchor. It is easier to do than it sounds. Stud finders are less than $5 .

Rubydoo is correct in saying the stress of hanging may be too great, so you will have to find a sturdy cage that is designed for such use. You will find that this will be a lot of trouble to hang a cage from the ceiling, but it can be done.

He's a year old? Oh, my! Your son is doing what he is supposed to do at this wonderful age. Maybe a barrier would be the answer. He will eventually learn not to touch the cages and you won't have to worry about it.

What do you think he thinks about those birds? They look at things with such amazement.

David and Vicki

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with either the gates or some sort of taller furniture (anchored, obviously). I have one of Tumi's cage on top of a wine rack things from World Market, and it is like counter-height off the ground. The biggest issue I would have with hanging a cage is that it isn't meant to take weight that way, and over time could fall apart. It isn't hard to successfully anchor the lines to the ceiling, but I really worry about the failure of the cage. Especially cages for our size creatures are often weak, since the bar spacing prevents a thicker gage wire from being used.
Good point I didn't think of that dana! Well I've ditched the idea also considering I think it would freak them out big time. I love the table idea, at this point it might be less than another gate because to get the correct panels are expensive

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is possible to hang cages from the ceiling, as long as you anchor into the rafters ( you call them studs.) Rafters run across your ceilings every 16 inches apart. You can use a stud finder--just run the stud finder across/against the ceiling until the magnetized pointer moves to its middle . Once you find the stud/rafter and your pointer moves, you will have about three fourths of an inch on each side of the pointer to put in an anchor. It is easier to do than it sounds. Stud finders are less than $5 .

Rubydoo is correct in saying the stress of hanging may be too great, so you will have to find a sturdy cage that is designed for such use. You will find that this will be a lot of trouble to hang a cage from the ceiling, but it can be done.

He's a year old? Oh, my! Your son is doing what he is supposed to do at this wonderful age. Maybe a barrier would be the answer. He will eventually learn not to touch the cages and you won't have to worry about it.

What do you think he thinks about those birds? They look at things with such amazement.

David and Vicki
David LOVES the birds. LOVES them. He just doesn't understand how fragile they are, he wants to touch them and he starts erratically waving his hands around and freaks them out, or he laughs when they fly around and runs after Jasper and Rosey on the floor which gives us a heart attack. I'm so terrified he's going to hurt one of them, unfortunately they gave been spending more time on the cage but it's a temporary stage so better that than being sat on 馃槚馃槶
Lilly is the only biter now and she's pretty nice to him. He also recognizes birds outside. He looks and laugh when they fly by. He knows.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No birds or babies were harmed during the making of this video. Jasper "spars" with us and our feet or our food or anything really, he's quite energetic and frisky lately. I promise he feels quite secure, a bit too much. And no his "bites" don't hurt and he was safely out of reach from being smacked.

Super Moderator
Lol! That is so cute! Jasper definitely is on the pathetic side of bites, since your son thinks they are funny. :) Tumi is more the "take a chunk of flesh out of your finger" type, so he's not allowed to be free near small humans. He does like small humans, though, he just like biting too much to be trusted.

For reference, this is what I have - Aiden 24-Bottle Wine Rack | World Market. I think anything that is counter height and you anchor to the wall might be a good choice. It wasn't the cheapest option, but probably there are cheaper options out there. I liked this one because I could use it as shelves, not just for wine bottles. Maybe even something like shelving from Ikea would work - KALLAX Shelf unit, white, 30 3/8x57 7/8" - IKEA . If the cages were up that tall then your son could only interact when he was being held, which makes for a much safer situation. Hopefully you can find something at works for you.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those look nice, it has to be for the really long cage though so I need more like a hall shelf. I saw something super cheap on offer up I just to measure, it's 3ft off the ground do you think that's high enough?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Screenshot_20210504-075500.png
This is it, I think I would work and I kind of like it has no shelf on the bottom because it will make it easier for me to sweep and mop under there. And David rolls his ball under it constantly LOL mostly he hits the bottom rack so that would fix that problem and I can spray paint it a nicer color.

Yes Jaspers "bites" are quite pathetic 馃槀

Super Moderator
That's the height of kitchen counters, so the question for you is, is that tall enough? Like every bird, every kid has a different level of mischief making skill so what is tall enough for one might be too short for another. It has serious potential, for sure, to be the solution to your problem. For bird and kid safety, though, anchoring is still important because if David pulls himself up on it the bird cage will make it top heavy and potentially fall.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes absolutely anchored. Okay well now I just have to measure and see if it will hold the cage sturdy enough, and if I can anchor it to the wall without hitting the window sill... Of course I could probably anchor the legs to the wall somehow as long as it can't be pulled on. I think at least in another year David will understand how to be gentle with them so we've just got to get through this tough stage where he can't understand...

Super Moderator
Make sure you tie both the table down and the cage to the table. Your little guy will be able to reach the cage faster than you expect.

Registered
Bokeh has a huge new castle that he gets to fly around in during the day, but at night he goes into his Vision castle, that we suspend from the ceiling. Been doing it for years. We have 4 chains kind of at each corner of the top of the vision cage that are collected at the top by a carabiner. We also strap a strong bungee cord underneath the cage and up the sides to reinforce the plastic latches that attach the bottom of the cage to the top.

You can see a picture of our Vision cage in front of Bokeh's huge castle in the "Bokeh's Huge Castle" thread in this housing forum.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bokeh has a huge new castle that he gets to fly around in during the day, but at night he goes into his Vision castle, that we suspend from the ceiling. Been doing it for years. We have 4 chains kind of at each corner of the top of the vision cage that are collected at the top by a carabiner. We also strap a strong bungee cord underneath the cage and up the sides to reinforce the plastic latches that attach the bottom of the cage to the top.

You can see a picture of our Vision cage in front of Bokeh's huge castle in the "Bokeh's Huge Castle" thread in this housing forum.
That's awesome! Okay so I'm not the first one who has thought about doing this. Kind of worried about them freaking out by whatever is suspending it though, I think I'm ditching the idea. The last time I came up with a nifty invention it was a boing with a frisbee attached to the bottom to catch the poop but there was a wire running up through the center of the boink and all of the birds absolutely hated it they would not go anywhere near it It was a total DIY flop so I sure would hate to go through all this trouble with the cage and then have them be terrified every time they go near it which I think is what's going to happen.

I did end up stacking all of my extra rolls of paper towels underneath the cage and that seems to be deterring the little man from banging on the bottom at least so that's an improvement for now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts