Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, long time no talk!

Recently I had noticed a small red bump on Fletch's nare before I left for vacation. Thought she might of just bumped it as she occasionally does. When I come back from vacation, it's not red anymore, but does look a little puffy, compared to Flint's.

The next day I noticed that her little nose holes were completely blocked. I brought her to the vet and he cleaned up her nostrils and sent her home with some meds to take for 10 days, twice a day. He was unsure to even prescribe it to her, since everything else looked 100% normal.

- normal poops
- feathers are clean
- no heavy or labored breathing
- personality similar
- sneezy
- blocked nares

She was fine the first few days on the medicine, but I don't think it had any real effect on her as her nares are almost completely blocked again. I;m wondering if she is allergic to the other parrotlet (they are in the same cage, with a divider between them). or if she has allergies, or?

I'm am confused, and I don't want another vet bill because of something like, ALLERGIES. Haha. I do have extra medicine. The amount they gave me was 4x the amount so I have it on hand for next time. (Shelf-life of 12 months).

What are your experiences with this sort of situation? I tried to clean our her nose as best as I could, but I couldn't do it as well as the vet. She is breathing fine at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
4,777 Posts
How dry (humidity) is the area she is in? You may want to try a humidifier to see if that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, humidity hasn't changed drastically here. It's been fair. I'll be more wary of it to see

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Hi...Welcome back!

What is the name of the medicine? Sounds like a antibiotic medicine. How do you give the meds?

Make the room real quiet and bright. Now, put your ear right up as close as you can to Fletch. Listen very intently for a noise, like a clicking sound. You can't mistake it, she will click when she breathes in and click when she breathes out.

If you hear the click, then try to look into her throat. Have a small flashlight on and look way back into the top of her throat. If you see a clear bubble sitting there, then she is getting or has an upper respiratory distress or infection. This bubble is what clicks. She can't get rid of it.

If you can't see into her mouth, then take her to the vet and ask him/her to look. Some vets do not take the time to look. If she is clicking and there is no bubble, then you have a pneumonia type infection ( deep into the lungs). One is viral and the other is bacterial.

I hope this helps.

David and Bogie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts