Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, Christine and I are thinking of getting a sugar glider, but I'm not sure if we should get one. She had one when she was in college, but had to give her to her younger sister. She was living in the dorms at the time and was hiding her, she got out and slipped under the bathroom door, the neighbor thought she was a rat and called the office so they found out, and she had to give her away.

We have the room for one, but I'm not sure if we should get another pet right now. They sleep all day and are active at night, so I would still have plenty of time to spend with Baby.

Here's a few pictures of a sugar glider.

I found some pictures of Christine's sugar glider, they are below. Her sister gave weasel to a friend that had another glider and they are friends now, so we can't just get her back.

·
Registered
582 Posts
They are REALLY cute! I'd always heard about them but never seen one. They look like they could be fun! The only thing I was going to ask was to make sure you still had time for baby, but since you said they sleep during the day, you'd be fine like you said.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're going to look a some tonight and we might get two of the little females. They are cute little guys, Alyse! They bond to the owner and are really loving and like to cuddle a lot.

We'll see what happens. I'll post some pictures if we get them.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
They are very cute –

I’ve heard they are a handful as a Pet and require very specialized care.

Apparently they are next to impossible to house train and they are very territorial and mark [urinate] constantly.

Also being nocturnal they are very active at night and have a variety of shrieks and barking noises.

I don’t mean to be a downer but I hope you have fully thought this through :eek:

Another thing to keep in mind – is the U. S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Inspection Service have regulations regarding keeping and/or breeding them. As far as I know they are not illegal but there are strict regulations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christine said that when she had Weasel that she was tame and easy to take care of. The males are territorial and will urinate on things, but we want two females.

They usally shriek and bark whenever they're scared. I'm sure they're going to be a handful, but preparing for that. Heheheh!!

We have an appointment tomorrow to see two female joeys. Can't wait!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Christine found some sound clips online of them barking so I could get an idea of what they sound like. They sound like a little puppy. Yeah, it amuses me too!

We're about to leave in 30 minutes to go and check the little critters out. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our little babies will be able to come home on April the 5th. They aren't weened yet and need to be close to their mommy. They were so sweet and cute! Here's a picture of them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So cute! I actually found one at a local pet store and was intrigued and my heart went out to her. Actually I just want to buy anything that's in a pet store because I feel bad for the little animals. But your two babies are so cute! Update us once in a while about how they are doing. Don't forget about Baby though!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alyse, these little guys are coming from a breeder so they are well taken care of and loved. I know how you feel about pets in petshops. You just feel so bad for them.

I'd never forget about Baby! She's so grumpy right now because she is getting some new feathers.

Kathy, they love being in pockets!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dae congratulations on your gliders. Are you getting them from Priscilla? Those look like Priscilla baby's to me! I have Mr. Magoo my very special man sleeping in my hand as we speak. He is just over a yr old and he came from Priscilla (thepetglider in TX) I could not be happy without my gliders. I have several and I am very active in rescue for them.

Yes gliders are time consuming their diet takes a lot of work, they do mark and are not really potty trainable but it is very easy to clean up. Poopies are firm little things and usually once they potty they are done with it. They also mark thing to be sure it is labled theirs. I have to say Diet and socialization is the biggest factor in owning them. BUT their playfulness and the laughs they give you are well worth it. Their barking is cool and they hiss like psssstttt psssstttt hey you pssssssttttt come here talk to me!! They also use their front feet like hands so they play with almost anything. They love Barrell of Monkeys and some gliders will carry them around the cage at night in their tails. I love when they sleep in your hand and hold onto your fingers with their hands!
Oh geesh I gotta stop could go on and on about them.

Good Luck Dea with them and hollar if you need any help with them.

Mr. Magoo playing

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi BCChins,

Yes, we got them from Priscilla. They came home this Saturday and are such sweeties! We have them on Priscilla's diet and they love it. As far as the peeing and pooping thing goes, I've been able to tell when they have to go. They run out of the pouch really fast and start looking for a place to go, so I'll put them in their cage and they do their business.

I saw your name on glider central the other day and thought, "I know that name," and realized that you're on here as well. I posted their pictures in glider talk and traveling on the forum. My user name there is Dana_D. Just look for Kiddo and Gogo's pictures.

Like you I could go on and on, but need to get back to what I was doing. I'll have to tell you more later. :)

Mr. Magoo is adorable!! Thanks! Talk to you later!

Take care!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here are 2 of the most popular diets used there are a few more but these 2 are the most often used:
The Pet Glider Diet (where these gliders came from)
Presentation:
25 oz unsweetened applesauce
4 oz Dannon non-fat plain yogurt
3 oz concentrated calcium fortified orange juice, no water added
3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats (NO QUICK COOKING OATS)
1 T fresh ground flax seed or wheat germ, refrigerated
In a large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix the applesauce, oats, yogurt, wheat germ and orange juice. Divide into two equal portions. To portion one, add: 3 small or medium eggs, scrambled. To portion two, add: 3/4 lb unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken.
Add 3/4 cup various chopped or precut fruits and vegetables to each portion. Freeze flat in quart size freezer bags (1/2" or less thick). If you choose to use pre-cut frozen produce, do not use vegetables which have a high ratio of corn.
Break off a frozen piece of the basic mix.

Feeding schedule should be:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday: Basic Mix
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday: Basic Mix Plus Mealworms (about 20 per glider)
Don't feed beef, seeds/nuts, or cottage cheese to your gliders. These are high in phosphorus. Avoid feeding anything with preservatives, sugar, or color additives. Keep the diet low-fat.
Daily exercise is vital. Exercise helps bones absorb calcium and stimulates bone thickening.

Always try to aim for a high Calcium to Phosphorus ratios.
Daily Staple:
Monkey Biscuit
Sugar Glider Cereal

Enrichment Supplement:
Pure apple juice diluted with half purified water 3-4 times per week.

Daily Vitamin/Mineral Supplement
"The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin, sprinkled on food.

And Bourbon's Modified Leadbeaters Diet AKA BML
http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html

I want to say that I have given my birds the first diet (The Pet Glider Diet) as a treat before minus the vitamins and they love it. Everything in it we have given our birds before just seperately. Now when Goober my Quaker see's me making glider bowls up at night he bangs his toy's as he wants some too! I have tasted both (yes I taste everything they eat except mealworm's) and BML is icky and Petgliders tastes like orange chicken with oats added!

DAE how are your babie's doing and can we see pictures of them? If you post some pictures I will post you some Joey pictures!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts