Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my bird has got a sudden bald spot on the top of his head. when i went to bed last night he didn't have it and he was fine but then when i got up this morning he has it. He seems fine in every other way, he is eating, drinking and playing fine. does anyone have any idea of what it could be and what i can do to help him, my vet is closed until Monday and there isn't another one around me. also he can't he plucking because the spot is in the top of his head.
thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Is there something in his cage he could have gotten it stuck on? Sudden feather loss on the head like that usually has two causes - another bird, or a toy or something. I would check his environment. And offer him a bath - maybe he's just molting and it looks awkward. Tumi looks awkward during molts sometimes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there something in his cage he could have gotten it stuck on? Sudden feather loss on the head like that usually has two causes - another bird, or a toy or something. I would check his environment. And offer him a bath - maybe he's just molting and it looks awkward. Tumi looks awkward during molts sometimes.
hes has a bath at the minute, I've checked around his cage and there doesn't seem to be any stuck in his toys but i also can't find any feathers at all and he is the only bird in the cage, the thing that worries me is that he has a spot that is completely bald not just thin.

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Can you get a better photo? Can you see it all the time, it only when you scratch him, or he fluffs? Are the any new pin feathers coming in there?

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
I would look around cage doors like maybe the feed doors. It looks like he tried to get out and got his head stuck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get a better photo? Can you see it all the time, it only when you scratch him, or he fluffs? Are the any new pin feathers coming in there?
its visible all the time but he does have a few pin feathers in the area. when i scratch him he doesn't like that area being touched

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Well at least some new ones are coming in and you know it cant be plucking... Maybe like Dana or Ozzie said. Hopfully a one time boo-boo

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Perhaps the start of a fierce molt, but as Ozzie shared, it does look like the little fellow got his head stuck and sheared away some feathers getting unstuck. That's exactly where it would be if that happened, and it's not like he could pluck feathers from that spot on his body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the start of a fierce molt, but as Ozzie shared, it does look like the little fellow got his head stuck and sheared away some feathers getting unstuck. That's exactly where it would be if that happened, and it's not like he could pluck feathers from that spot on his body.
thanks for your reply, i think this could be what happened because he is no longer comfortable at the top of his cage and prefers to be lower down as of this happening, i tried putting him on a higher perch and he just climbed down to a lower one, thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
The more I look at it, the more it looks like some sort of traumatic feather damage caused by a cage bar, and if he doesn't like the top of his cage anymore then I would bet on that being the cause. On the bright side, it isn't plucking and really doesn't seem to be a sign of illness. While odd looking, it should be just fine after a molt. It is probably really sore, though, so I would avoid touching the area while the feather grow in until it is time to help with the pin feathers.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
He probably rubbed it against something----should go away with time. It may be tender right now. Have any red palm oil with his food?? It's good for feather growth---get it at any health food store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts