Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tofu, my little menace, is going through it. About a month ago she started throwing very intense tantrums for what reason I do not know. She flaps her little wings as hard as she can and holds on to the perch and peeps as loudly as she can (most definitely an angry peep). She will peep and fly around her cage and then just stop. When she's not throwing tantrums shes perfectly fine, she forages, eats, drinks, she has even begun taking her own baths in her water dish (which was something she never did before- we usually misted her if she was looking extra scraggly which she barely tolerated but now she will do it herself when she wants to which is nice).

We usually get about two to three large tantrums a day. We've been doing trial and error trouble shooting- rotating toys, trying some foraging activities, she has a play stand outside with her favorite swing and we leave the door open when were home and the room is birdsafe (so most of the day since I work at home). She has come out on her own before and can get back in if she wants to but she's been choosing not to.

She does not like it when we come over to give attention- that's intimidate tantrum. Before she would tolerate me coming over- changing toys, cleaning, talking to her, etc. Now, no one can even come remotely close to her without the aggressive wing flapping, but she also doesnt want me to leave the room thats also a tantrum. One thing we did notice is that she's been yawning during the day. She is covered from 10pm to 10am. Occasionally she will nap, and previously she didn't nap during the day. We tried adjusting her cage cover in case the light was coming in and bothering her. Our apartment is very quiet- with the exception of: we live in a more rural wooded area with a lot of wild bird life- the only thing I can think of is if the outside birds are up earlier and she's waking up but even if that is the case I dont know what to do about that?

I guess my question is- she's almost exactly a year old- is this just part of growing up? Is she just tired- and if that's the case I don't really know how to make it more quiet for her? Should I call the vet? I just don't want to neglect her health if something else is going on to casue a behavior shift. I dont really know what else to do so anything is helpful.

·
Registered
856 Posts
:)If this is the Terrible Two’s it will pass. It is just hormones going crazy. Yes, wing flapping could be a sign of frustration and aggression, but when birds fly in place it could also mean they are happy, want attention or want the exercise. When you approach her cage, and she starts flapping her wings, open the cage door and see what she does and how she acts immediately afterwards. Does she get aggressive and try to bite you? When people describe their birds going through the Terrible Two’s they usually describe their birds as being a little monster, biting, lunging, overly aggressive, and possessive of their cage. When I would open Cleopatra’s door in the morning to let her out, she would fly out with her beak open and aim straight at me to bite me. With her, she would be two or three-days monster, then one or two days acting normal, back to monster again. This lasted about a month. If little Tofu is going through the Terrible Two’s and this is all that is happening, then I would say you are having it pretty easy. As we say so often on this forum – every bird is different. Not every parrotlet is going to go through the Terrible Two’s the same way. At one year old, your baby is growing up into an adult parrotlet. Their personalities do change some. Just hang in there and see how she is doing. Taking a nap(s) during the day is usually normal behavior, but longer and more frequent naps, with your bird staying fluffed up a lot could be a sign of illness. Watching any changes in her poops and watching her weight are the best ways we can keep tabs on our birds health because they are good at hiding their illnesses. I do not have a doubt that you are taking good care of Tofu - you come across as a very good mommy to me. :) Happy Hatch Day to Tofu!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts