Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for weaned Parrotlet when told the baby had a stroke. His head is laid down to the right and he can’t hold it up but is constantly looking up to the ceiling. Terrible thunderstorm and they think this is what caused the stroke. Anyone familiar with a baby parrotlet to have a stroke? The baby is eating and is able to sit on his perch and go from one perch to another in his cage. Will he recover from this stroke? Good chance he’ll have another one or two? Any prognosis? Hasn’t been to vet because the breeder thinks the vet will say to put him down and he’s too sweet for that! Comments? Any experience in strokes?

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
I do not know if birds in general or parrotlets in particular have strokes - I have never heard of it. I do know that if a bird is showing signs of a medical condition, taking them to an avian vet should be step one. Recommending that the bird be put down is a last resort, if nothing else can be done and the bird is suffering, and fear of hearing that recommendation is not a valid reason for not taking the bird to a vet. Many other things could cause the symptoms, and treatment might be possible. Even in a human, thunderstorms cannot cause strokes, which are blood clots in the brain, so that part of the story does not make sense. The bird deserves to be taken to the vet for treatment and potential diagnosis by a medical professional. The vet does not grab the bird and put them down - honestly, that "fear" from the breeder sounds like an excuse to avoid spending money on the bird.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I agree with Dana. An avian vet would not make a recommendation like that unless the bird was clearly suffering. Diagnosis is absolutely the first step, then treatment options if they’re available. He absolutely should be at the vet.

i am so so sorry to hear about this. It must be very upsetting for you. My prayers are sure with that sweet little guy. I sincerely hope the breeder gets him to a vet so there is experienced, professional information on what is going on with him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know if birds in general or parrotlets in particular have strokes - I have never heard of it. I do know that if a bird is showing signs of a medical condition, taking them to an avian vet should be step one. Recommending that the bird be put down is a last resort, if nothing else can be done and the bird is suffering, and fear of hearing that recommendation is not a valid reason for not taking the bird to a vet. Many other things could cause the symptoms, and treatment might be possible. Even in a human, thunderstorms cannot cause strokes, which are blood clots in the brain, so that part of the story does not make sense. The bird deserves to be taken to the vet for treatment and potential diagnosis by a medical professional. The vet does not grab the bird and put them down - honestly, that "fear" from the breeder sounds like an excuse to avoid spending money on the bird.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I would not buy a sick or damaged baby bird. Lots of birds die, especially baby and young birds. It is in their nature. This is nature / evolution working things out. A bird sick this early most likely have genetic issue and will not live out a full life and what life it does does have is going to cost you in money, time and heartache. If you want to take this little one as a charity case that is cool, just be aware what you are getting into and I would not pay the breeder.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
I would chalk this up to "unknown" as to what happened. The bird should definitely be taken to the vet, it's irresponsible of the breeder not to. Maybe they will suggest to put him to sleep but that's owner option so that's a poor excuse.
I'm so sorry, I doubt the little guy is going to live long. Kind of a red flag, I would choose another breeder. Hopefully if you have money down they will refund it.
I had a bird reserved one who passed in the nest before I got him. I was also very sad. I found a different breeder and got the best bird I could ever ask for, I've had him for I think 7-8 years now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Waiting for weaned Parrotlet when told the baby had a stroke. His head is laid down to the right and he can’t hold it up but is constantly looking up to the ceiling. Terrible thunderstorm and they think this is what caused the stroke. Anyone familiar with a baby parrotlet to have a stroke? The baby is eating and is able to sit on his perch and go from one perch to another in his cage. Will he recover from this stroke? Good chance he’ll have another one or two? Any prognosis? Hasn’t been to vet because the breeder thinks the vet will say to put him down and he’s too sweet for that! Comments? Any experience in strokes?

Hi, I bred canaries for a very short time- a few clutches. I bred a white femal to a red roller. The one baby was a pinkish color but not real healthy looking. Small and not a lot of muscle mass.
I was vacuuming and my mom ran in shouting turn the vacuum off, the pink baby fell off the perch and is struggling to get up. It was affected mostly on one side. I figured it was a stroke since it was one sided. She/ he made through but eventually passed later on.
I personally would not get a bird that has had a stroke. Damage has been done inside. Don’t set yourself up for heart break. Get a healthy thriving bird. Sometimes they are just not made to live long.
Sorry this happened.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Info on birds and stroke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts