Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay it's blurry but its cute :) – does anyone have a Parrotlet that doesn’t love strawberry’s?

I took one of the ‘mess’ afterwards but it was REALLY blurry :eek:

It’s hard to get two birds in a picture without one of them moving :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
so cute! I got mine some dried strawberries-nothing added at all- he loves them. A lot less messy. But it is fun to give the fresh fruit and watch them dive in. Afterwards I try to wash his face and he gets a bit miffed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine won't eat anything but seed so far. It gets kind of old putting fresh fruits and vegetables in his cage and watching them wilt. The strawberry I gave him yesterday, will probably be there when I get home looking like a cage ornament. Oh well, I'm not giving up.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You are right, keep trying. Chipper was the same way. Just wanted seed. Now she eats EVERYTHING. She is a joy to feed!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well, I'm not giving up.

I LOVE your attitude - thats the perfect attitude to have ;)

Every bird I've ever had EVENTUALLY tried the foods I put in the cage and once they try it and get a taste for it they end up loving it.

I've had Budgerigars that took up to six + months to even try anything other than their seed ( and thats with an everyday offering) But if you keep trying they eventually get it - if you stop offering they will NEVER get it as they won't have the chance.

A trick you might try is: (assuming your bird is tame and will view your hand as another bird or a friend) Birds love to forage - so put out a towel and place mostly the foods you want him to eat - fruit, veggies etc - put some of their favorite food mixed in - start pretending your hand is eating the food and keep picking up different foods and "eating" it - most birds will eventually copy you and pick at the food you are picking at - Hasn't worked for all my birds in the past but it has for most - when it starts working you can cut out more and more of their favorite foods until they are eating the foods you want them eating.

I've had great success with Beak Appetit this way as it has some seeds in it and once they try the seed they usually try the rest.

.... older birds are of course much harder than younger birds.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've been neglecting to take pictures of Nemo lately, but I don't have one of him and a strawberry nonetheless. One day! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My p'let Jocko loves strawberries too. But I think his favorite part is picking off the strawberry seeds first before he eats the fruit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts