Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've got a strange request. I'm researching organic beef for my paper. i'm going to try and determine the average price difference around the country between organic beef and "normal" beef to see if location also plays into the price difference between them. So, if you can perhaps record the cost of 1lb of beef and 1lb of organic beef for me and post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

The main point of my paper is to determine if non organic beef is potentially helping the cause of precocious puberty in girls. . . the antibiotics and hormones given to cattle is the concern w/ many parents that i have talked to. I'm going to be looking into the amount of antibiotics and hormones given within the last 20 years (or so) and then looking at the trends of the onset of puberty and see if there are similar trends... i.e. the more hormones given, will there be an earlier age of puberty occuring? I hope this makes sense...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Any grades? How about dry aged? :D - you've got to try that stuff, it's the only way that honors the cow's supreme sacrifice, in my opinion.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My research paper isn't due until the end of the semester, so don't worry about rushing to get it~ :D

Hmmm. Since I'm working on this for also my WIC project, I would have to stick with something cheaper, most likely ground beef. I guess I should have put that up there. Sorry~ wasn't thinking about that aspect just now. Sorry, I'm not a huge red meat eater.... I'll stop by my store tomorrow and record the price of ground beef and organic ground beef. I can't see them not having that since it is a commonly used product. If they do not have it, I'll look at what the cheapest available is in the organic foods section.

I've been given access to a veterinary database to research the use of growth hormones (isn't it great to have connections). I'm also going to pressure my sister to see if she can me access into any government libraries she may have access to as a CNS diabetes education for the VA hospitals.

I'm not pulling any punches. This paper is only supposed to be 5 pages long... I'm starting to get the impression it is going to be like 30 pages long once I get into the meat (no pun intended) of my research.

Wish me luck that I don't get in trouble for turning in a paper that is way too long.

PS:

just to recap.

When you happen to be at the grocery store, please check to see the price of organic ground beef and regular ground beef. If that is not an option, please check for chuck. If there is only one type of organic beef cut, please try and match it with a normal beef cut.

If there is an option of percentage of fat, please look for 80/20.

If there is only one type of fat precentage for organic ground beef, please match the fat percent of both as close as possible.

I know it's a lot, but your help will greatly help me. Thank you so much for any help! Please don't go out of your way to do this, just whenever you are there. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would love to be able to help, but in my part of the country, organic meat is still fairly difficult to obtain. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts