Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new here. Don't have too much time to socialize but I am a parrotlet owner who is seeking some advice. Pudge is just about 6 months old. She started screeching really loud one day and and in between screeches she would flap her wings really quick, then her whole body would violently jerk. The jerk movement would be a split second. She'd screech then jerk, screech then jerk. This would go one for a minute or two, then she's fine.

It happens a couple of times a week.

She doesn't fall but it appears that she's in distress.

Any advice??

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Mine flaps his wings and screeches sometimes....he also has a ritual looking jerk from side to side when he does this. Mine is not in distress but very excited when he does this...most times it is when my budgies are squabbling and acting up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe just a loud flock locating call, or a mating call? Sometimes my Fiji gets quite animated when he makes lots of noise. He makes some quick little jerk as well and I was worries it might be neurological, SO i am happy to hear that your girl is doing somtinhg similar.

As long as she does'nt continue on and and on and/or go into seizures or somthing, i'm guessing she's fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I am totally prepared to take my little gal to the vet, I don't want to jump to it. I am disappointed about how much the vet charges...last August I had a wonderful budgie that started getting sick on a Sunday of all days. I called the emergency vet and he met me there, force fed the little guy and gave him a bunch of meds. On the way home in the car he got sicker and sicker until he was vomiting blood. He died a couple hours later in my hands. I was devastated.

Two months later I got the bill. Wow! About $175.

Anyhow, although I am aware of how fast birds can go, I am hesitant only because I can't afford another bill like that unless absolutely necessary.

I appreciate the input. Perhaps it is something just like what aircube describes. I read all about seizures and it's definitely not that.

Also I saw all the posts about lead cages and I will research that issue also since I am planning on getting a new cage...and who knows what kind of cage she's in now! Could very well be lead!

Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
335 Posts
My little guy will sometimes be on the outside top of his cage and out of nowhere start rapidly flapping his wings. He doesn't go anywhere, just flaps rapidly like the dickens! Is that what yours will do?

I have not noticed any jerking movements. As far as the flapping, in the summer I thought it might be a cooling agent. But is now winter and will still do it from time to time.

I think it is just a happy-go-lucky kind of thing, perhaps a sort of 'streching' exercise for him. he certainly doesn't seem in distress. He's a happy little critter (thank God).

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
sounds like some kind of contact calling.... Mine do that in the morning,
they don't really flap but they lift their wings and really belt out a few loud
successive chirps -- mostly when I'm getting them fresh water or changing their food out....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does your parrotlet move about the cage alot while doing this? I was told that this is normal and your bird is just trying to get rid of excess energy. Perhaps if you recorded it and put it on youtube... or even just record it for your vet to take a look at. The jerk movement description is what I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think mine does this when she's feeling itchy or frustrated. Maybe it's a quirk that some individuals have, for whatever reason?

·
Registered
377 Posts
My Riley after he eats at times will sit on the perch and flap his wings. Than when i look at him he stops. I think it might be they are wanting some attention!!!! lol like we all do at times..cute isn't it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts