Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondring what is the best way to store bird Pellets and seeds? I do not want it to get those mealie bug things in it. So far I put it in Zip-Lock bags.

Thank you

Brenda

PS: I took pictures but of course I can not resize them so if anyone wants to volunteer to post them I will email them to you!! Thank you again!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Most bird food stores well in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

What type of pellets and seeds do you have? Certain brands use chemical preservatives to keep them keep from spoiling for a longer time than the natural preservatives.

Also, those gypsy moths (wormy larvae) will chew through plastic. So I'd go via frig or freezer or big glass jar. Even in a glass jar though, they can squeeze into the grooves! If you don't currently have a pest problem, you are likely not to get one.

They say oregano leaves will repel pests from food stuffs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Most bird food stores well in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

What type of pellets and seeds do you have? Certain brands use chemical preservatives to keep them keep from spoiling for a longer time than the natural preservatives.

Also, those gypsy moths (wormy larvae) will chew through plastic. So I'd go via frig or freezer or big glass jar. Even in a glass jar though, they can squeeze into the grooves! If you don't currently have a pest problem, you are likely not to get one.

They say oregano leaves will repel pests from food stuffs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I keep all my seeds and pellets in tupperware containers for food, and then inside a larger tupperware where I keep all my bird stuff. I check it often to see if any pests or anything get into it, but we've never had a problem like that before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currantly do not have any moth/larvea thank goodness but I would like to keep it that way. So I am going to place it in the freezer as long as that is safe to do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can put the food in the freezer for a few days and it should kill most of the moths/bugs. Some people say that it lowers the nutritional value of the seed, which may be true, but we do it to seed sometimes if we can't find any space in the refrigerator. The refrigerator will lower the temperature enough to halt the lifecycle of the bugs and is probably a better choice than the freezer if it wasn't for lack of space. We keep most of the seed in some sort of tupperware container, as well. We've only ever had bugs in the seed that we've bought from crappy retailers, or a few times from bulk seed.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you refrigerate to kill any bugs I'd recommend a one week period of time. That should be plenty for your average seed pest.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I keep my seed, Millet etc in the refrigerator in the original packaging and pellets in the original bag in the cupboard - I use Harrison's Pellets, Harrison's recommendation is to use the original bag and not refrigerate - I don't know about other brand of Pellets.

I think the freezer would be too harsh for either–

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Most of the ‘Seed bugs’ come from the seed itself. There can be moth larva and other type of bug larva laid in the seed before it reaches the shelf for sale – [as there can be in our flour].

Wild birdseed is a common culprit because the quality control standards are much lower than those used for human or domestic animal consumption - but pet birdseed can be infested also.

Keeping the birdseed in the refrigerator [just in case there are any larva in the seed] keeps them from hatching or spinning their cocoons.

YUCK – :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone I am keeping it in the fridge then. I just wanted to prevent any of that nasty stuff before hand.
With one Burdy it will take a while to go though 10 lbs of food.
I am using Volkman's with a tiny bit of pellets added 10% or less.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yuck is right!

We had this problem once, from food from a not so reputable source. They were making their little nesting sites (for lack of the proper word) in my crown molding. I had to go around searching and killing all of them around the house. They got into many of my regular food stuffs (to be thrown away) and most of the bird food. It was VERY upsetting.

I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Birdie Tip: Do not store pellets in the refrigerator. This will cause condensation in the container when removed from the refrigerator and will lead to moldy food. It is best to store very large quantities in the freezer and remove them a couple of hours before use. Quantities of food that will last the bird for 3-6 months can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container and remain fresh.

From Dr. Burkett,
Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Practitioners in Avian Practice

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Birdie Tip: Do not store pellets in the refrigerator. This will cause condensation in the container when removed from the refrigerator and will lead to moldy food. It is best to store very large quantities in the freezer and remove them a couple of hours before use. Quantities of food that will last the bird for 3-6 months can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container and remain fresh.

From Dr. Burkett,
Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Practitioners in Avian Practice
Wow – when you think about it that makes sense. So I would assume that would apply to seed mixes that have bits of this and that mixed in – dried greens, fruits and pellets etc?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts