Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Sqwaking

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dae 
#1 ·
So, I have my lil parrotlet, Kai, and he is a happy little friend but everyone once and a while he will just SQWAK nooooon stop! I'm not sure what he wants. Like i'll take him out and play with him, and he quiets down eventually, but soon will start at it. I give him different foods, and toys... Im just not sure whatever could be the matter! He doesn't seem distressed or anything. Is he just being vocal for being vocal? It sounds like he wants SOMETHING, just not sure WHAT?!

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
What time is it when Kai does it? Chipper chirps in the morning after I uncover her. She is hungry.

She then chirsps when she wants to nap, if you turn the light on.

Then she chirps at 8pm every night. She then wants to get her song and go to sleep. I just put her to bed and she is silent now.

You will need to learn what she wants at what time of day. I find that has made our live WONDERFUL!!!

Does Kai want to rest and have the light off for an hour in the afternoon?

Now, some days, Chipper is just "off." She chirps and I am not sure why. I think they just love to chirp sometimes. That is OK. I just try and make sure there is not something she needs.

This takes months. At least it did for me. We are bonded and I have learned what she wants.

#5 ·
Wow that was crazy. I had to turn it off cause Kai decided to go crazy with it :p

It definately isn't like that though. Its more spaced out and less frantic. It does seem like he wants something. I guess I'll just watch him more, maybe pick up a few things.

#7 ·
Azale,

Is it a 'sqwak' or a loud 'cheep'?

My boy will do the machinegun cheep like in the video when he's excited. He make a regular loud single authoritative 'cheep', repeated every few seconds if he wants my attention.

I've told both my birds that I bought them because they were a quiet species, they don't believe me...:rolleyes:

Regards,

Art S.

#8 ·
I guess its more of a loud cheep. And I think he just wants attention... for example...

I was eating a bowl of freshly popped plain popcorn and Kai started chirping. I let him out and he nosedives into the bowl.

Just look at that face... and all the popcorn static'd all over him... quite the mess to clean up :p

So I guess he just really wants attention ^^

#12 · (Edited)
That’s so cute with the static popcorn cling – :D

I posted this to another person just now – but Kai might be just displaying normal vocalizations or if he was with other Parrotlets before you got him he might be contact calling to see if they will answer – if thats it he’ll stop soon enough when he gets no response.

Art described the perfect word in “machinegun cheep” mine does that same call but it never lasts very long.

They also chirp when they are happy and/or excited - so its not always a bad thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.