Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when we got Rio, I thought I was buying a parrotlet. I was pretty sure I knew what a parrotlet was, I definitely thought I knew how they sounded since we have had Bo and/or Jules since 2013. I was wrong. What I got was a very silly, slightly aggressive, squeaky toy. Rio makes the weirdest of noises. He squeaks, he chirps, he cries, he whines, he clucks, he grumbles, he growls, he mimics my coughs and sniffles. Today he has picked up a sound that sounds like a laser being shot on a star wars movie. Not sure where he got that from. I hear him grumbling in the background. I am sure he is working on some sort of words. Also my breeder seemed to have done an excellent job. He cuddles, is not afraid of hands or handling. He will sit on my hand as I type on the computer, or sit on my phone and watch me. He will cuddle up in my hand and go to sleep. He is definitely not like any sort of parrotlet I was used too. Parrotlets are a joy, he is the third parrotlet I have had the privilege to own (or be owned by) and every one of them have been very distinct, unique creatures. Very smart with lots of personality.

so what unique noises are your little ones making? What unique actions to they take that surprise you?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Monty also squeaks like a squeaky toy when he's practicing his words. He also growls at you are night when he is getting pet on the head and snuggling into your shirt right before bed after coconut time. He's like "grrrr....grrr...." but he likes the scratches so IDK what the growling is for lol.

Mostly he beeps or contact calls all day if he's not practicing words. I don't have a running tally of the words he knows but some favourites of his right now are "big wings" "peekaboo" "good boy clicker noise" "pretty bird" "you're such a funny bird" "yummy" and his assortment of kissing noises and pretend munching noises.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi has a TWEE, a chirpchirpchirpchirp, a growl, and all sorts of other chirps and words. He boarded once with a cockatoo that liked to scream, so he has a parrotlet version of a cockatoo scream, and a million other noises. At this point, I have no idea which are "normal" parrotlet sounds and which are mimicking something. The best are the sounds we make to each other - I don't know if I started it or if he started it! I have no idea how they can have such personality in such tiny packages - it seems to defy some laws of physics. They must be Bigger on the Inside. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sunshine quacked like a duck when I got him, I thought it was because he was a baby and in a new place. He quacks every night when I am carrying his cage into his bedroom. It is very soft but definitely a quacking sound

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tumi has a TWEE, a chirpchirpchirpchirp, a growl, and all sorts of other chirps and words. He boarded once with a cockatoo that liked to scream, so he has a parrotlet version of a cockatoo scream, and a million other noises. At this point, I have no idea which are "normal" parrotlet sounds and which are mimicking something. The best are the sounds we make to each other - I don't know if I started it or if he started it! I have no idea how they can have such personality in such tiny packages - it seems to defy some laws of physics. They must be Bigger on the Inside. :)
The TARDIS of birds

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
The TARDIS of birds
:) I was hoping that I wasn't alone here! I don't know how I never made the connection before. Parrotlets are clearly bigger on the inside - they contain much more bird than they are bird! So tiny on the outside, but with limitless potential on the inside.

·
Registered
374 Posts
:) I was hoping that I wasn't alone here! I don't know how I never made the connection before. Parrotlets are clearly bigger on the inside - they contain much more bird than they are bird! So tiny on the outside, but with limitless potential on the inside.
Happy 5000th post Rubydoo!

I also never made the connection until your comment :LOL:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Cleopatra makes soft honking noises (like a goose) when she is feeling lovey dovey and wants to snuggle and get scritches. Also happy contented grunt noises. She does come out with a crazy sound once in a while, but of all the sounds she makes, her "jungle calls" are my favorite. I think those are awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My favorite breeder just got a clutch of parrotlets and I was thinking about getting another one BUT she said if I do I will need a separate cage in a separate part of the house so that they don't hear or see each other. I know that it's best to keep just a single parrotlet, but I've seen people on here having more than one, and I really would love to have a boy along with my girl. How do you keep your p'lets if you have more than one? Are you able to have a strong bond with both still? Thanks so much in advance :).

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do you keep your p'lets if you have more than one? Are you able to have a strong bond with both still? Thanks so much in advance :).
I cant awner so well, kiwi and avi are probably sisters, judging on how long they have been together and how similar they look, but I do have a strongish bond with both of them (not 100% tame yet, and will not let anyone 'fully" pet them yet, but both setup and avi knows how to skateboard) they both fly to me if they're just hanging out on there cage, and do laps from me to there cage. they live in the same cage and do get mad at each other sometimes, but its never bad, they get over in around 30 seconds lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My favorite breeder just got a clutch of parrotlets and I was thinking about getting another one BUT she said if I do I will need a separate cage in a separate part of the house so that they don't hear or see each other. I know that it's best to keep just a single parrotlet, but I've seen people on here having more than one, and I really would love to have a boy along with my girl. How do you keep your p'lets if you have more than one? Are you able to have a strong bond with both still? Thanks so much in advance :).
May I ask who your favorite breeder is? I am learning and looking for just the right little one!

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May I ask who your favorite breeder is? I am learning and looking for just the right little one!
If you are looking for breeders people are allowed to PM you (now called conversations)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts