Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm the proud parent of a Pacific Parrotlet named Samson. He's awesome, big personality, he seems to be generally pretty cheery.

I brought him home last January, which makes him not quite a year old. So far, so good. He'll readily hop onto my finger under most circumstances, he'll let me touch his beak while he's on my finger. He LOVES popcorn (or really anything destructible). He's not aggressive or defensive at all.

However, he's still pretty afraid of my hands. While if I hold out my finger, he'll readily hop on it. Anything else, nope! Run away!! I would love to develop a more trusting, affectionate bond with him, but so far he's a little distant. Not antisocial necessarily though; he gets excited when I get home, peeved when I leave the room, and seems content on my shoulder.

I grew up with a Cockatiel, and would love to have a more cuddly relationship with Samson too, especially since he has way more personality than the cockatiel.

I apologize if this topic has been thoroughly covered elsewhere, but I feel like every situation and every bird is unique!

If you have any sage wisdom to impart, I would be very grateful :)

Best,
L

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
HI welcome to you and Sampson. He's a really cutie and looks like a cute little character. I am having the same problem with my guy Oliver. He waits for me to come home and waits on his out of the cage perch and will hop unto my shoulder not even my finger. He will run up and down my arm until he sees my fingers and then he's back up to my shoulder. He talks up a blue storm and is just the love of my life. We are taking it slow and each day is a new day to work on trust. I'm not sure what to say except patience. I am not sure what frightened him about hands but I think it was the person who was his feeder at the place I got him. He wants to be with me so it has to be something that frightened him. Tonight he did not want to go back to his cage. I didn't have this problem with my last p'let so I think it has something to do with how he was handled initially. Patience, patience, patience.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My darling boy Tater is like your Samson in many ways. We have only been together 5 weeks so its all new. The advice I have gotten is simply "be patient". These birds do things on their schedule and not before. It's tough because there are times I want to grab Tater and smoochy kiss his wittle birdy face, of course I enjoy bite free face ands to much for that lol.

Your little guy is adorable, hope you get to that cuddle bug relationship with him :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts