Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how I was all bragging about drinking coffee on my porch with jo and it seemed like spring..not now it's raining and 44 degrees and dropping whoowhoo it's cold cher. You couldn't get me on that porch now.:eek:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Crazy weather around here too. It was 60 here today. By Wednesday it won't even make it into the 30s! Personally, I'd prefer if it stayed warm. I hate cold weather.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The rest of the coutry is expeiencing bad weather but here in NJ, me and Dave are temporarily enjoying the benefits of global warming :D ! However, Dave just rained on my parade by telling me that it will soon be colder here than in Florida...

This is the longest NJ has been without snow in recorded history! They even canceled the Polar Bear Club annual New Years Swim because it was too warm - not kidding on this one!!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh yeah - cold here too. It was 0 when I went to aerobics this morning. I felt better about that, however, when my husband called - he was driving to the Mayo Clinic this morning, and his car thermometer showed -18 (that would be MINUS 18 degrees!) as he neared Mayo. This has been such a mild winter for us! We've really only had two snows so far.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Guess I need to work on my profile. I notice it doesn't say that my location is MN. By the way, can someone tell me now to post a picture with my signature?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
0 ......you've got to be kidding I just thought I was freezing no I am freezing brrrrrrr I that winter...I mean it!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, that is cold!!! I was just going to post about how cold it is in Inverness, CA but you got me beat. We've been as low as 17 degrees at night this week and that is right on the pacific coast at sea level.

My husband and I made a video of our ducks as we saw a new behavior from them. We got them up as usual and they were rarin to go and take a bath, etc. All the water was frozen and the ground was so cold that they sat down and picked their feet up. see here:
http://tinyurl.com/yu677t
I apologize for swearing while getting my hands wet.:eek:

I'm looking forward to when we get sun on our back yard again. We are in the shade and that makes our winters more chilly.

karen

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Karen I can't believe they were bathing in the freezing water....that seems so crazy, I guess their down feathers keep them warm? i t makes me cold to look at them, but they are so cute...ducks I love them. Af-lac

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I have to post a vid of us catching them and kissing them. They are so soft.
That water was freezing! But I think it was actually warmer than the air and ground temp. The ground was hard as ice and the air was also cold. I've seen them mate in ice water, LOL! They had a very boring day today my husband tells me. No time out of the run because of the fumigation tent.

Karen

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How's that going Karen, did they tent your whole house? I live in termite heaven.... South Louisiana. You know if your house was built of cypress that they won't eat it. Back in the day they cut the old growth cypress out of the atchafayala basin and built houses from it. The enviromentalist would never let that happen now, thank gosh. I'm not sure if mine was built of it I need to get someone to tell me, 1937 it may have been. Is the whole proceedure almost over?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ha! I wish I could even have the hopes of a garden this time of year!

We just went thru a colder snap, got down to between -40C and -50 C. Yes, you heard right minus fifty. Lemmie see, that would be between.... -40F and -60F. Truck doesn't start so good at that temp, even when it's plugged in.

Now tho it's back up to about -20C usually. Thru the winter here it's between -30C and -20C normally. Sometimes goes up to -10C which is really nice, me and the kids go out on those days if the wind is down. And then like the last 2 weeks, sometimes it goes way down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
-40 is not where I want to be stuck.

The tent is off and my husband is moving back into our house. I have chosen to spend the week at work. I stay at a friend's house once a week anyway. Bean is with me in my office. Shhhh, I've been stealing him goodies from the cafe salad bar! Last night I instucted the cleaning crew lady to keep my door closed. She is from Mexico and has seen parrotlets in the wild. She calls them pariquitos. I practice my terrible spanish with her.

So, I never saw the house tented. My hubby filmed it so I'll take a look later. I'm not moving the animals home til Sunday.

OK, gotta get back to work!
zzzzz
Karen

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Candi33,

So what you're saying is that what we have right now, down here in the lower 48, is shorts and tee shirt weather for you ;) .

I'm sure there are many woderful things about the place you live. To me, the winter temperature is NOT one of them.

Warm regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you ever go to the NOAA weather web site ,it's a link on my computer( I have no life) it says that where I live it's gonna rain everyday till way into next week and be in the 40's during the day and maybe low 50's. That right is the perfect recipe for the flu. Did I mention before I HATE WINTER!

AAAAAchu!...........

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I just want to point out that when we started this thread it was in the 70s F (20s C) in NJ during the first week of January.

We have now had a long enough cold spell to allow skating on Princeton University's Lake Carnegie. The image of hundreds of people of all ages skating on the lakeis straight out of Currier & Ives.

I'm fondly remembering the warmth of January and contemplating a trip to someplace warmer.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I posted this at another site I go to. We were talking about the spring and when will it come. These were the first flowers in my yard. I picked them, I couldn' help myself, I was so sick of the cold and now this week it is in the 70's. If your still freezing maybe these will make you think of the spring that is coming.....it is coming.LOL

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats so nice - Its great to see the signs of spring :)

My Japanese Maples have started to bud - I am SO relieved as I though
the frost had taken them this winter - two were just planted this past year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts