TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Continuing my research into purchasing a parrotlet it seems that the Spectacle variety is quieter, less aggressive than the Pacific. However, they are very hard to find. I was wondering what your opinions were on one vs. the other. :rolleyes:
Also, if anyone knows of a reputable breeder in or around Calgary, Alberta, Canada you could send me a pm please.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What you have said is very true about spectacled vs pacifics. I own both and yes even in Canada it is hard to find a spec. I was so lucky getting my little guy, he is a sweetie, a great talker and so stinking funny! You might look into a green rump they are maybe a bit shyer but very sweet too. That was my first Parrotlet I owned.
Good luck on your search for a spec, be patient and you will find one, it can take you longer but so worth it.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
All I can say is that I want a spectacle, but they're just about impossible to find around me!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I googled searched spectacle. They almost look like pacifics. I was told my breeding pair is a pacific. how can you tell the difference with the greens besides tempermen and the amount of noise?

·
Registered
637 Posts
All I can say is that I want a spectacle, but they're just about impossible to find around me!
If you want a spec you would have to have one shipped to you. I had my little guy shipped and he handled it just find. I also take him camping with us and he loves it. I have 2 breeders that will sell specs. I really want another one so so bad but I just can't do it right now.
My little boy is so awesome, very entertaining and makes me laugh HARD everyday. He is a riot. Yes he is special and I think non bird people think I am nuts. After having 3 different species I will have to put specs at the top of the list followed by green rumps then pacifics. I love my pacifics but the are fiesty and mean at times with a hard bite. Specs are sweet and loving. My little guys is very bonded to me and me only.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
If you want a spec you would have to have one shipped to you. I had my little guy shipped and he handled it just find. I also take him camping with us and he loves it. I have 2 breeders that will sell specs. I really want another one so so bad but I just can't do it right now.
My little boy is so awesome, very entertaining and makes me laugh HARD everyday. He is a riot. Yes he is special and I think non bird people think I am nuts. After having 3 different species I will have to put specs at the top of the list followed by green rumps then pacifics. I love my pacifics but the are fiesty and mean at times with a hard bite. Specs are sweet and loving. My little guys is very bonded to me and me only.
Hannah, could you pm me your breeders?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm looking in my crystal ball ;) & I see a baby p'let in Evelyns future! They're kind of like potato chips...you can't have just one...you keep craving them! & it's contagious too!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I'm looking in my crystal ball ;) & I see a baby p'let in Evelyns future! They're kind of like potato chips...you can't have just one...you keep craving them! & it's contagious too!
Yea, I thought I was handling my MBS, from my last outbreak, but it keeps coming back, I will have to go through the 12 step program again. Husband still says 2 are enough, which is true, if I keep bugging for about another year he might give in. :rolleyes: I really want a yellow one, but I sure love the look of the Speckles too :p

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, they are beautiful. I know my husband wouldn't mind if I brought 1 more into our home, Tiki is a clown & we have so much fun just watching him & listening to him. I just need to decide what I really really want because I think 2 will be his limit as well. They are all so beautiful. Yellow is nice ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yea, I thought I was handling my MBS, from my last outbreak, but it keeps coming back, I will have to go through the 12 step program again. Husband still says 2 are enough, which is true, if I keep bugging for about another year he might give in. :rolleyes: I really want a yellow one, but I sure love the look of the Speckles too :p
Hi, my name is Heather, and I'm a bird-a-holic.

Maybe we do need a 12 step, I'm not sure if meetings would help or just make the MBS even worse.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi, my name is Heather, and I'm a bird-a-holic.

Maybe we do need a 12 step, I'm not sure if meetings would help or just make the MBS even worse.

No, I really , turely, do not think the 12 step will help, and seeing a yellow P'let doesn't help either , I just love your sillybanana.:)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi there, I'm going to be sending you a PM. I live in BC and there is a gentleman who occasionally has spectacles in. - I don't know how often he has them, but if you are wanting one bad enough, it may be worth your drive, or he could point you where to go possibly closer to you. (I also believe he ships too) His birds aren't handfed though, aviary birds. But, I've heard nothing but good things regarding his parrotlets.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Hey, me too! I can't right now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind when I have room for more:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey, me too! I can't right now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind when I have room for more:)
Because I am so in love with my spec I want another one so bad but I have to get down to one bird because life is taking us out the area for months at a time in a 5th wheel trailer. So Fonzi is going to be a traveling bird.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hannah, my birds love to go with us on vacation, I thought it might stress them out and they seem to have fun and get all excited, and Noel is actually a little nice to Zack on vacation. Zack even gets on the side of the cage and yells at the big truck going past us. So if you even see a P'let doing that on your travels, it might be us..:D

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Nope, nope... still in denial... cannot enter the 12 step program!

You there is something wrong with me, I laid awake to 3 am trying to figure out , how to convince my husband that I want or need another bird..That is bad.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You there is something wrong with me, I laid awake to 3 am trying to figure out , how to convince my husband that I want or need another bird..That is bad.
I think this is perfectly acceptable behavior ;)

By the way, I'm going to see the babies again Friday at 6pm!!! More pics to come!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts